Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Everyone wants Valve to hear about STEAM? Well here!

All I have heard is bitching about STEAM. So, here is a petition to Valve about STEAM.

http://www.petitiononline.com/cg1d0915/petition.html

What exactly is an "indirect in friction" ?
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

heh, I was trying to figure that out... but failed!

EDIT: BTW... the Iron Giant has got to be the most amazing and underrated movie ever. It's too bad WB marketing gave up on it before it was finished!
    Last edited by geddiesburg; 11-21-2004 at 09:17 PM.

I think the author meant inference. Petitions rarely have any effect and poorly written ones don't stand a chance. If STEAM slows down piracy even marginally there is no way they're going to dismantle it. And if it's successful, expect other companies to adopt similar schemes.

I totally agree about Iron Giant. Anybody who loves great animation needs to buy this dvd!
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

lol you do know that you can go into 'offline' mode rite?
    visit my site:artellectual.com

I didn't post this for me, I posted this because there are several threads on here complaining about it, so here is somewhere that you can put your name down if you want to. I think the only way to find out if an idea is going to work is to try it, which is what Valve is doing. They want people to pay for their game, and I don't blame them... I support them.

even if "offline" mode HL2 still tries to connect to the steam servers

don't believe me logoff and exit steam then fire up HL2
    Aint that some ...

Hmm, i won't sign this, but i kind of agree that this kind of copy protection has an adverse effect.

However, Piracy prevention is not the main idea about steam, let's not loose focus of that. It's about a direct developer to customer distribution channel. Valve is doing some pioneering work in the area of digital content distribution here. In a few years we might as well be thankfull to them that they took the risk to try and work out the kinks with this kind of delivery method.

Amphibian Ice Alien WIP (put on hold)

I think steam is the worst thing ever done. I think it may slow down piracy, but do you think it is worth the cost of people not buying the game. I was going to buy HL2 but then when i heard you need the be online to play SINGLE PLAYER, I mean WTF, I will save my 55.00 dollars. plus i tried playing CS on Steam when it came out it about 80percent of the game failed to load, and that never happened with the old system. Steam is the reason i will never by Half-Life 2, and it is too bas, it seemd like a good game.

Originally posted by Zecster
    Steam is the reason i will never by Half-Life 2, and it is too bad, it seemed like a good game.
    Please please please don't let steam put you off Half Life 2.

I have my own issues with steam, because of my 56k connection.

It took an hour online to get to a point where I could start the game - I have to have steam running (offline) to play - I can't play from the dvd's start menu, only from the steam console, so why put 'play HL2' on the dvd menu? - I can't play without the dvd in the drive - unless I download the whole game from a steam server.

However, I know that some of these faults lie with Vivendi (cd copy protection, possibly) and some with Valve. I feel that I've been penalised 'cos I can't afford a broadband connection.

BUT - and this is a big but........I forgive them (well Valve anyway) because the game is so stunning. There's never been a game like this before. Please put up with the hour long download (I was ready to rip Gabe Newell a new one - if you get my drift), 'cos it really is worth it.
    Good judgement comes from good experience, which grows from bad experience borne of bad judgement. Make mistakes, experience, learn.

gmanx.com

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast