Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HL2 disk needed?

How come every time I want to play HL2 I need the dvd in the drive - despite all the steam log-in and password and cd key malarkey to make sure only one person can use my copy of the game- but my mate, who bought with steam, doesn't even have a cd/dvd. Isn't that just a little bit redundant? Doesn't steam replace the need for cd copy protection?
    Good judgement comes from good experience, which grows from bad experience borne of bad judgement. Make mistakes, experience, learn.

gmanx.com

With other games you also have to put the play cd in the drive if you want to play. I think the steam version has something that makes it possible that you don't need a cd.

You could do what I did, I bought Alcohol 120% then I got a spare 40GB hard drive and I burned images of all my games to hte hard drive then when I want ot play them I just mount whatever image Iwant and I keep the disc's perfectly safe in their cases.

meh, thats kinda stupid, i realized that myself when i tried to play the game for the first time, not a big deal though , i can keep the cd in my comp it doesnt matter to me. though it would be nice if you didnt need the cd, seeing as the downloaded version from valve obviously doesnt..

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

yeah you don't even need to buy Alcohol 120%...just use Daemon Tools! Its free and works just as well IMHO.

Think I might do the same, my DVD drive makes a lot of noise.

Here is a link to Daemon Tools btw:
    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php
    A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
    --Erin Majors

I read somewhere on the internet that if you bought the game on CD, then you can go to steam, input your CD key and then get the downloadable "no CD needed" version... not sure since I don't have either version..
    "If you put together all the work I did on "Shrek", I would say I have spent more time promoting it in the last three days than I did actually working on it... When you compare that to the amount of work that the animators and producers put into it, I’m embarrassed to get all the attention and praise for it." - JOHN LITHGOW
    Visit my webpage

the reason steamers dont need a cd is because all the content is on their hardrives (Downloaded)

retail HL2ers have the content on their cd/dvd so you're going to need the cd in the drive just like any other game

all steam does is register your product and tie it to your account
    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - Richard Dean Anderson

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Updated 31/01/05 - 3DBuzz VTM Introduction videos uploaded!)

I'm with those that don't like having to put the CD/DVD in every time. With games being as expesive as they are, it's nice to be able to mount an image with Daemon Tools and keep the disc in it's case. I wish more vedors were like Epic and would release a no cd version update, it's worked for them for years.

Originally posted by Arimus1
    yeah you don't even need to buy Alcohol 120%...just use Daemon Tools! Its free and works just as well IMHO.

Think I might do the same, my DVD drive makes a lot of noise.

Here is a link to Daemon Tools btw:
    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php
    Can you make an image with daemon tools or can you just mount them?

Only mount them so you still need another program to make the images, but its by far the best program ive ever come across for mounting images.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast