getting it all on the web

hello everyone, php newbie here...

ok, i have my system set up with apache, mysql and and php, working as localhost, i followed the php vtm's, and have created the simple message boards etc... they all work fine locally, how do i get all this working on a host for example geocities? i understand uploading the php files and stuff, but when it comes to uploading the database, i have no idea what exactly to upload!? i presume the php code would then have to be changed as to where it looks for the database? i admit i have not tried yet, i would just like to know what i am doing before i go uploading random stuff. Any help would be great. all this is because i dont leave my computer switched on so any databases would have to be hosted remotley.

well i would try freehost100.com i think.. im pretty sure thats the name of it, but its alot better than geocities.. they let you have 3 mysql databases i think and have support for php and perl, i havent actually hosted my site on here or set it up, but im sure you would be able to figure it out if you messed around with it for a bit, hoep that helps you

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

cheers dude, i'll have a look.

i could not find the site you mentioned, thanks anyway

hmm,,. my bad im not sure of the name i've forgotten it, i will look when i get home see if i have it in my favorites, otherwise you might want to try looking at http://www.100best-free-web-space.com/freeHosts.html if you want a free eb host... most of these are alot better than geocities and just check to see if they have mysql database support etc.
    hope that help you out

Absolute Power, its the only way to roll!

You want to upload a MYSQL database?

Ok, I had trouble with this but it turns out to be very easy, as long as you have phpMyAdmin.

What you need to do is select your database from in phpMyAdmin and click export. You need to export the structure and the data I would guess so click structure and data, and highlight in the list all the tables you want to export. Once you have done this there should be an option to save it as a file so do that. Then when you come to setting the database up on the remote server, go into phpMyAdmin and click SQL. You then tell it to load the file exported from the local database. This should then set up all the tables you had in the other database, as well as all of the records. If you have any trouble with it then PM me.

As for hosts :-

geehost(my friends hosting service)
    vapournet

Both are quite cheap, should be exactly what you are looking for and both come with phpMyAdmin already set up.

Your idea is dumb!

@njl - YEP

I know one

Its hard to say what caught my attention....