Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Arrow From Buzz to the Community: My apology

Hello everyone,

I wanted to take a moment from some of the projects I’m working on and say something to the community. This is something that has been the result of a very difficult realization on my part, and something that I feel has been a long time in coming. I’ve talked to the rest of the team at length about this, and I feel that the time has come for me to get this off my chest, once and for all.

I would simply like to apologize.

I want to apologize to the community for all of the shortcomings that have taken place because of any action or irresponsibility on my part. There are many things on this site right now that, when I stop and look at them, I realize have no bearing on what I originally intended for 3D Buzz to bring to the community. My original goal for 3D Buzz was to give something new to the world: a chance to achieve an education that may not have otherwise been possible. I wanted to develop a community of like-minded people who were there to help and teach each other and eager to accept newcomers who also wished to learn. While I feel that, in part, I have been successful in this venture, I also feel that there are some areas that I have slighted or overlooked along the way. This wasn’t my intention, but it seems to have caused some ill will from many people. It is because I understand the position of these people that I come before the community not in defense, but in concession. If you would please take the time to read this, I want to address each of the biggest and most important areas where I feel there should have been more attention, and share with you what I intend to do to rectify the situation.

First, to the Member Sponsors: I sincerely, from myself and on behalf of the rest of the team, want to thank you for your support and encouragement. Your contributions to this site have made more things possible than you will probably ever know. It is because of this that I come to you with a very heartfelt apology for not coming through with some of the things that I promised. I am sorry that I have not been posting in the Executive Lounge as much as I had intended. I was posting teasers of new plans and projects in the Lounge, but not posting in the EC to let the Member Sponsors know what was actually going on. I know that this means a lot to many of you, and I should have kept up with it more frequently.

I apologize for slow feedback in the Member Sponsor Online Classes. I have recently acquired some much needed and highly appreciated help for the C++ Course, but I let the Maya TD Class fall in return. I also apologize for not releasing more content specially designed for Member Sponsors. You are, believe it or not, one of the most important aspects to keeping this site going, for many reasons beyond the financial. You are worth the extra time and effort, and I’m sorry to have slighted that.

To the Community at large: I want to begin by apologizing for what was allowed to become of the Online Classes. When I first developed the Online Class system, I simply wanted to create a way that my VTMs could be used to create a classroom-like environment. When the classes first opened there was some concern voiced about how we would handle the grading and personal attention for each class member, when some of the classes already had over fifteen thousand students. I dismissed these concerns; the community interest in the classes was so overwhelming and encouraging that for a time I felt that anything was possible. The sheer beauty and grandeur of the structure made me blind to the cracks in the foundation. I should never have allowed it to happen. I bit off more than any one person could chew; all the while allowing myself to get caught up in the spirit of what was a growing and thriving community. I lost sight of the details. I was so excited about what 3D Buzz could do, that I forgot to pay attention to what it was doing.

The result was that I got tied up with new projects, new ventures, new ideas and plans. All the while, the Online Classes began to wane as I spent less and less time on them. I devoted my team to other avenues, researching new projects, developing new systems. I deeply apologize for allowing this to take place. It was not at all what I wanted. There should have been more consistent attention to grading, to online responses, to answering questions, or even just a few posts to let the community know I was thinking about them; anything to make the Online Classes actually feel like a classroom environment. For all of this, I am very sorry. The idea of an online class is still a good one, and one that still has a very strong appeal to me. However, the methods used to run our current classes have proven ineffective.

I apologize for the slow to nonexistent responses to PMs, emails, and other messages from the users. I can’t really create or maintain a community without interacting with it myself. Again, I bit off more than I could chew by trying to answer all inquiries alone, and not accepting help from any of my other teammates or moderators. The result has been that many users feel like their questions or concerns fall on deaf ears, an image that I had originally envisioned never happening on my site.

Finally, I wanted to apologize for one more thing before I forget to mention it; and that is for my attitude. Sometimes, when I’m working myself silly and putting things off with my family to pour my focus into this site, I get discouraged when I find someone has posted my work on a file sharing site, or is complaining because of some trivial aspect to the way I run things. Some of these complaints are so vehement (and usually so misinformed) that they affect me, my family, my friends, and the team; such to the point that we have all come close to simply throwing up our hands and walking away from 3D Buzz. It’s a poor attitude to have, and I never meant to vent my frustrations on the community.

I will, however, be the first to acknowledge that an apology means nothing without an adjustment of behavior. Here’s what I will be doing to set each of these things right, and to bring 3D Buzz closer to my original vision.

For the Member Sponsors, you will be seeing me more often in the Executive Lounge. Even if I don’t currently have any secret plans that I can share at the moment, I’ll be popping my head in to see how you are doing. Also, I’ve put the entire collection (to date) of the Video Tips up for you to download whenever you want them, so you don’t have to worry about receiving the newsletter or using the access code to get them. Sorry it took so long to set this up. We had to adjust a few systems first for security measures.

As for the Online Classes, I’m shutting most of them down and pulling them offline. I know there are still a few of you out there that are still active in these classes, and I’m sorry for any trouble or inconvenience this may cause. I truly feel, however, that this is a major step in bringing 3D Buzz back to what I intended it to be. The classes, as they stand and as they were originally designed, do not work the way I want them to. The idea was virtuous, but the execution needed improvement. The Maya TD Course and the C++ Programming Courses will remain intact, however. Those in the Maya TD Course will also be pleased to note that I have personally caught up all homework assignments, and intend to keep them that way. Again, I apologize to those of you who will be negatively affected by this decision, but it has to be done for the benefit of the community as a whole. The team and I have other things that demand our focus right now, and so the classes must be shut down; it’s the only fair thing to do. I greatly appreciate the efforts of those who have helped to keep the classes graded and strived to keep the classrooms alive. Your assistance has been tremendous, but I can no longer allow the responsibility of my visions or the results of my past inconsistencies to fall so heavily on the shoulders of others.

As for my attitude, it gets so hard sometimes for me to put such vast amounts of effort into this dream and see it bashed or abused by the very people I’m trying with all my might to help. Every time I see a Torrent site hosting the VTMs, or people requesting the latest for-sale videos on some peer-to-peer site, or read another email where someone tells me that I’m abusing the community by not managing my bandwidth in a different way, I just feel like quitting. I’m going to try to change this, but I’ll be honest; I’m only human and I can’t always help the way I feel. This kind of thing might get to me again at some point, but I’m going to try to deal with those people in a more private manner, and not let such things affect the community.

I have also removed the Karma restriction on VTM downloads. The site is now completely open to all who wish to download VTMs from it. The Karma System itself I am keeping in place, as it is one of the most effective website monitoring systems I’ve ever seen, and I still have some interesting plans in store for it. However, I want this site to focus more on learning and community development and I’m willing to do whatever it takes get there. I know that doing this will also open the door to pirates, peer-to-peer posters, and leechers who will simply log on, take everything they can and leave, probably never to even watch it. While it is true that that sort of thing is very discouraging to me and the rest of the team, I am, even as you read this, working on new ways to deal with the problem decisively. Piracy of our for-sale content has become a major problem, and we are developing a new system to deter those would try to steal from one of our primary sources of funding.

On that note, I am also working on some new methods to keep 3D Buzz funded. While we do appreciate the financial support of our Member Sponsors, many of you may have already noticed that the number of Member Sponsors is dwindling. As such, I am adjusting the strategy of the site and the company. We will still create our usual fare of free downloadable content for the members, but we will also be creating more specialized and high-end videos that we will sell in our store. I must reiterate that we are not shifting away from the plan of producing free content; that has always been something we pride ourselves on. The income from these videos is going to help us to expand 3D Buzz, and change it into something closer to what I had originally intended it to be.

There are many users out there who seem to think that because I teach at the Renaissance Center, or because I run my own training website, that I am rolling around in vast sums of money. That is simply not the case. I don’t own the Center; I teach there and get a normal salary just like a lot of people. In fact, 3D Buzz is in more financial trouble right now than it has been in a long time. Corporate sponsors are no more, and have been so for a long while. Member Sponsors are at an all-time low, and more are leaving day by day. We have to do something to keep this dream going, or else it’s going to be lost forever. I get so disappointed when I venture out on the web to find that someone pictures me as a rich scam artist who is trying to take the community for all that it’s worth. Nothing could be further from the truth. If I were in this strictly for the money, things would be much different around this site, as I’m sure you can imagine.

There are some new changes and some new ideas on the horizon. I hope that you all can forgive me for the mistakes that I have made, and stick with me as we move on to the next major phase of my vision. I want to go back to the 3D Buzz I fell in love with, back to that wonderful thing that had me feeling like one man really could change the world for the better. I want to get excited when I log in to 3dbuzz.com. Most of all, I want each and every one of you to be just as excited about it as I am.

To close, I wanted to send out a few very sincere thanks. First, my deepest thanks to you, the members; all of you, Member Sponsors and regular users alike. Whether you are contributing to the site financially or intellectually, it is you for whom I do everything I’m doing. You are my inspiration and my motivation. You are the personification of everything I’ve hoped to achieve. Thank you for helping the community grow and flourish, and for being there for me when I needed you the most.

Next, I want to send a heartfelt Thank You to those who take time from their personal lives to help me with my dream, the members of the 3D Buzz Crew. To Logan, Zak, Joel, and all those who have helped moderate the forums or keep up with our Online Classes; it is your efforts and assistance that have made this possible thus far, and it is your continuing dedication that is going to push us on in the future. You’ve been there for me at my highest and lowest moments, and you have my deepest gratitude.

I want to send my warmest of thanks to my family for their love, concern, and their seemingly infinite tolerance. No matter my mood, no matter how hard I had to work, no matter how many times I’ve had to put off spending time with them to keep this site running, they’ve always been there to give me that hug, that kiss, or even that soft word of encouragement that kept me going in my darkest moments. To my beloved Angela, and my two wonderful daughters Heather and Meagan; you’ll probably never know how happy you make me as a husband, or how proud you make me as a father. You have helped me to keep sight of what’s really important, even as I strive to bring my dreams to reality; for that, and for infinite other reasons, you forever have my love and my thanks.

And finally, one last thank you goes to you. Not as a member of my site, not as someone who has helped to create this community, but simply as a person; a person who took the time to listen to what I had to say, and allowed me to get these things off my chest. Please don’t respond to this by telling me not to be so hard on myself. Honestly, I feel much better having said these things, and I feel much more confident about where 3D Buzz will go in the future.

Sincerely,

Jason “BuZZ” Busby
    CEO/President - 3D Buzz, Inc.

Buzz

You are a genius...

When I first read about 3dbuzz waay back in 3dworld I knew it was gonna be something very special.

not once have I ever thought you made a bad decision regarding the flow of information.... sure some things didn't work out, but that's how things evolve, re-evaluation

It should really be us taking the time to thank you, so often the site is taken for granted and the release of new content simply acknowledged...the release of new content should inspire and renew the zest for education

Thanks a lot for all the hard work the team has put in, I will now go and talk dad into buying me C++ CDs

Thanks again

Stu

It's cool with me. It's a tough job and somebody has to do it. I love 3dbuzz and I think there's nothing to complain about if it's all free. I'm the one who owes 3dbuzz.

What are you talking about...

You make so many vtms for use you dont have to apologize those leechers should be.

Thank you so much for your time to make such great vtms for us to learn

Oh ya I hopfully buy those C++ vtms

Thanks,
    Hunter

It's good that you are taking a step back, trying to return this place to how you originally intended it. I would not be going to the school that I am going to or majoring in what I am if it wasn't for your generosity (along with that of the rest of the crew).
    Put the stuff in the stuff n stuff.
    I drive the "There's a radio in my fingernail...CAR!"
    What page of The List are you on?
    I have been confuzzled!
    There is something there! Yes, but we don't know what that something is.
    Oooh! Look at my pretty desktop. I dont' care what you think, I think it's pretty.
    I want Zak's hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <Something> Darn it captain! I'm a Maya user, not a doctor.
    I eat at Taco McBurger in the Box!
    Cardboard Box Transforme Time!

I am glad that you feel you are now moving in the right direction as to what you want. You are the star of the community and this is your vision if you want to change it we are with you 110%. Apology is accepted even though none was needed. I have supported you, even though you may not know me, scince i have started here and will support you in 3dbuzz until you shut down, may we hope that never happens.

percent20
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

My life transformed

Since I discovered this site, my life has changed completely. I have begun projects, I could never have considered previously. I feel I am a part of a collective whole, a group of dare I say it, friends. As long as this site exists, I will continue to support it. You provide more things than I have the time to work on, and that you endeavour to do this for free is testament to you enormous generosity and desire to improve the lives of your fellow man.

I don't feel an apology is necessary, but I will accept it if it makes you feel better . Yes, you are being too hard on yourself, but I understand how it is.

I'll drink a toast to the enduring future of 3DBuzz, and to your family and friends who support you so steadfastly.

Gazzaden

Buzz, If you feel you need to apologise for all those things, then I too need to apologise.

I apologise for using up your money for postage, CDs, mailer packets and the like when the VTMs were posted out.

This money (along with all the other posted VTMS) could have gone towards taking your family on a fantastic holiday round the world.

I apologise for loving the VTMs and waiting patiently for the next ones. There is no reason why I should EXPECT there to be a next one.

The time you spend on you project/hobby/whatever you want to call it, could have been spent in other areas of your life, family friends, work.

I apologise for using the bandwidth of this site to download the newer VTMs. I apreciate this STILL costs you money, time etc etc.

I apologise (most sincerely - tounge removed from cheek) for the Idiots that post the VTMs on file sharing places and/or complain to you about this that or the other.

This only undermines your work and spoils it for the rest of us.

(replace tongue!)

and lastly I'd like to apologise to everyone for Buzzs apology.
    Im sure most of us would agree (I say most of us, see last apology, re - idiots) this is not necesary.

This is a free site for the most part, and we should all count our blessings that someone would want to do this kind of thing for US for nothing other than a good feeling of helping people. If only there were more Buzz's round the world.
    Neil

Your spell-checker is not as effective as think.

Hey Jason,

Thank you for such a heartfelt message.

I hope you leave the little Karma counter on the site. Because I like to make sure that I am giving back to the community you've helped create. I like to check my Karma to make sure that it is not getting low. Not because I want to keep downloading. I didn't even know that having low Karma would stop me, but just because it is important to me to give back to this site.

I have only been a member here for about eight months, but this site has done more for my dream of making video games than any thing else I've ever encountered.

General_Disarray

PS: just pre-ordered my c++ stuff. WooHoo!
    Last edited by general_disaray; 11-11-2004 at 05:48 PM.
    Happy to be in the Maya Fundementals Class. Worth the wait, the effort, and more than worth the money. I've done a lot of VTMs; here and outside of 3dBuzz. I can say without a doubt that these VTMs are the best that I've seen. Great Job Guys, and Thank You!

Click here to check out DomeGI. Global Illumination for Maya made easy

A MOD Team I am on.

There are so many people on this site who idolise and look up to you Buzz, and to a lot of people, you have done no bad thing by taking the site to where it is.
    But obviously if you feel the direction of the site needs changing then I'm sure you know deep down that a LOT of us on here will follow and support you whatever you decide to do

I can remember when I first joined this site (I don't even think there were VTMs back then ), and I was soooo happy everytime I received a new VTM through my letterbox, and I can see that since then I have become less thankful, well, not less thankful, but I don't express my gratitude as much anymore.
    So I just wanted to say thank you Jason, you have helped me learn a tremendous amount in both game design and modelling/animation inside of Maya. IMHO you and your team have changed the entire CG world for the better, and we as a community can't thank you enough for that
    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - Richard Dean Anderson

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Updated 31/01/05 - 3DBuzz VTM Introduction videos uploaded!)

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast