Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Have you learned (or tried to learn) a language that doesn't exist?

Have you ever had the strange feeling that you wanted to learn a language that doesn't exist it, or make one up yourself? I'm getting pretty excited about Myst 4, which should be arriving here on tuesday if all goes well, and the worlds and stories around it. Especially the language, D'ni', looks really interesting. So I've found some sites explaining the alphabet and the grammar and I'm going to try to learn some of it. I know there are a lot of people out there that have learned the elvish languages made by Tolkien, but I was wondering if people that visit here are/were geeky enough to try the same thing?
    Technical Artist at LuGus Studios
    www.lugus-studios.be

nielsVaes.be

Firstly, Id like to mention that I read about a case where two intellectually gifted twins, invented at least one (though I think it was three) language among themselves.

Having said that, the closest Ive come is one day after buying a kids magazine (when I was still a kid) there was a whole section on vikings. In this section, they had the normal english alphabet and all the viking characters which corresponded to the common letters (some where missing). I got really excited by this so I quickly memorised each of these viking letters and the next day I was able to write things in this new alphabet. Just as I became good at writing and reading this new alphabet, fo reasons I don't remember, I stopped. I later wanted to learn it again but I couldnt find that one issue (though I could of course find all the other issues I had purchased).

Maybe I will do this again on the holidays to see what its like to read english using a totally diferent set of characters. The internet shall assist me in locating such a list.

Tomek
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."
    --Bertrand Russell

yes

that stupid pig latin

pyrot, do you mean runes?

there´s a LOT of resources in the net about runes, so it shoudn´t prove difficult. just gooogle it.

a friend of mine is learning the olvish of tolkien.

i´m personally learning japanize right now. but i will definitely give D'ni language a serious look.

please post some link about it.

Cheers.
    // Vrolfak
    My Blog

I heard about a guy once that knew how to speak klingon. He had a son and wanted him to know how to speak it, so thats the only language he used around him. When his son went to school all the kid knew was klingon. None of the teachers knew how to speak it, so they had to bring in this ultra star trek greek that knew how to speak it to tutor the kid.

Actually I didn't hear about that anywhere, I just made it up.

Originally posted by waynechung81
    Actually I didn't hear about that anywhere, I just made it up.
    Well thank you for spamming in this thread

that stupid pig latin
    I've learned latin and ancient greek too, but those were real languages. Stuff like D'ni or Sindarin are completely made up.
    Technical Artist at LuGus Studios
    www.lugus-studios.be

nielsVaes.be

Originally posted by neelz

I've learned latin and ancient greek too, but those were real languages. Stuff like D'ni or Sindarin are completely made up.
    I know Greek as a native language but Ancient Greek... man we did that stuff at high school. The Greek orthodox church uses it only and people here may go to church and not even understand it. I know I stiill don't get it fully.

No, he means pig latin...

I would also like to learn Sindarin or Quenya. I learned the Feanorian alphabet (and adapted it to Spanish)... Some people called me a freak for that...

Have you learned (or tried to learn) a language that doesn't exist?
    now that would just be plain silly...

jake.hall@gmail.com Got Xbox live? Add me. DuDeY109

Regarding Klingon. I did once read that some psychiatric institution was looking for somebody who knew klingong coz one or more of their patients would refuse to speak nothing but it. Pretty devoted one must be to Star Trek in orer to learn the language but ey, at least I think its kinda cool.

Tomek
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so."
    --Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast