Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine questions - advice needed

Hi guys

We are a group of people who wants to make a RPG like game. We are thinking of the Unreal Engine - because we know a little about it and because it can do great gfx.

But this game is not a shooter. Can't really say to much of the gameplay, but it's more a Diablo kind of thing.. sort of

Okay - So I need to know if it is even posible for me to use this engine. So here are some questions I hope some of you can answer:

1) Are there a fixed limit on how many npc's a map can hold?

2) Is it posible at all to implement a point and click system, instead of a first person movement system. Like the system in Diablo..

3) Is it posible to use clip-lane instead of a fog system.

4) Is it posible to change textures ingame. I'm thinking doing transperant textures when a player walks under a bridge (ie..) . Since our camera is fixed angle and not first person.

5) Is it posible - without licens - to change the server system to be of a zone-like gametype, like EQ, Diablo etc, where you can zone to other "maps", but still comunicate to eachother and keep the control on one server?

Now that was a lot of questions. We are new to develop - this is an ambitious.. I know But I would like to know if any of the stuff listed above is posible

I know that we might be better of with an engine build for rpg like game types, but the only engines I can think of is NWN and maybe Dungeon Siege - but as far as I know NWN needs 3 game-"packages", and D.S. can't be used to change the "gametype" - only to build new worlds in the same system.

So if anyone can answer some of the questions listed above (dont need solutions - only to know if it's posible) or know of any great engine that can be moddet to the limit, that you think would be better for us. Pretty please help us out here

Thx in advance

Jacob aka. Qilanto (Denmark)

unless you wanna reinvent the unreal engine (and i think Epic Games would have something to say about that) i suggest you use Bioware's Aurora engine (NWN) go check out there site under the builder section i know there is at least 1 mod that has been created that uses modern themes they also have an active modding community to help w/ any hurdles you might come upon
    Aint that some ...

1) I think not. It can have as many as the RAM can handle.
    2) Yes, think so. Find a way to implement a mousepointer ingame(the hard part), then spawn a bot who will follow the botpaths close to where you clicked last (that should be easy)
    3) Dont know the word clip-lane.
    4) You could instead make the playerchar render before everything else (maybe in a transparent skin) as soon as your view to the player is blocked. Cant remember the defaultproperties for it though...It shuld be very easy.
    5) Hmm..this would be a hard one. You can probably run multiple servers with maps or "zones", but to still be able to communicate? Maybe look at the mirc chat system? Or send the chat to a textfile or 3rdparty program, where the other server could read it?

Havent tried any of these before...except the "render in front" option.

If you still want to do it,
    good luck.
    ------------------------------------------
    Can somebody lend me a hitch off this planet?

yeah I think your creating a lot of work for yourself by choosing this engine. It is great but it has been designed for FPS games. However I have seen a MOD http://www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/ which uses an overhead view which seems to work wel. But you still need to use the keys for movement.

I am going to have to agree with ja8t3d on this one. You should use the NVW engine. Its been made especially for what you are trying to do!
    A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
    --Erin Majors

1) Are there a fixed limit on how many npc's a map can hold?
    I thought there was a limit of 32 (or 64), but I may be wrong or you may be able to get around it.
    3) Is it posible to use clip-lane instead of a fog system.
    I believe you meant clipping plane. I don't know if there is a way to use a clipping plane. But, if you set all the fog distances to the same number, wouldn't that be like a clipping plane? Everything up to that distance would be rendered and everything beyond that distance would not be rendered. I don't know that it would make a difference, though, if you have an fixed overhead view.
    4) Is it posible to change textures ingame. I'm thinking doing transperant textures when a player walks under a bridge (ie..) . Since our camera is fixed angle and not first person.
    I think the easiest way to do this would be to use MaterialTriggers with MaterialSwitch materials so when the player trips the trigger, the material turns transparent. Say you have a bridge with one MaterialTrigger on each side of the underpass and the material for the bridge is a MaterialSwitch with two materials, one opaque and one transparent. When the player trips the first trigger, the material would turn transparent. Then, when the player trips the second trigger, the material would turn opaque again. You would have to make sure that the triggers were not tripped by some other player or entity or you would run into problems, though.

Originally posted by ffejnosliw

I believe you meant clipping plane. I don't know if there is a way to use a clipping plane. But, if you set all the fog distances to the same number, wouldn't that be like a clipping plane? Everything up to that distance would be rendered and everything beyond that distance would not be rendered. I don't know that it would make a difference, though, if you have an fixed overhead view..
    he refering to when you walk behind/under a building and the building disappears ya know like in "The Sims" so i don't think your idea works
    Aint that some ...

Originally posted by ffejnosliw
    I thought there was a limit of 32 (or 64), but I may be wrong or you may be able to get around it.
    Thats on PC's (Player Characters). NPC's (Non Player Characters) have unlimited. When playing invasion, you play against NPC's, and that can be more than 32 monsters in the world at once.

EDIT: Try add this to the class that render the player, and set it to true each time you cant see the player. He will then render on front of everything..

bUseNoRenderZ=False

Im not sure it works everywhere, i took it from the FluidSurfaceInfo class.
    Last edited by empty_other; 11-05-2004 at 04:36 AM.
    ------------------------------------------
    Can somebody lend me a hitch off this planet?

Thumbs up

Hey - thx for the quick reply

Okay - so most of the stuff _might_ be posible - but it would be a looot of work?

The reason that I would like to use U-engine instead of nwn is simply that I know unreal engine a bit and just love the game But I think i'll go downtown and buy nwn to day - sounds like that would be more realistic

If any of you got other tips for doing it on the unreal engine plz let me know

thx all

/Qilanto

Its definitly possible. Lineage 2 modified the unreal engine.

with a license I presume... ? I can only use what is posible as modding...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast