Thread: Flash or GIF?

Question Flash or GIF?

I want to make a new signature for myself, but I don't know what to use; Flash or GIF images.
    If you have the same type of animation, and the same quality with a size 500x125, which file would be smaller; Flash or GIF? And why?

Click on the sig to see my previous ones.
    If you play DayOfDefeat, check out the clan I'm a member of: StormTroopers

flash uses vectors , so probably flash

yea, i'd probably go with flash also, but if ya would, minimize the size of the sig to about the size of a normal sig, or a banner size. there are people who are are 56k, and it's just a big distraction, and 500x125 is just huge for a sig

How about minimizing the sig? :P anyway... i think that flash would be better!!!

I'm working on smaller sigs now. The one I have right now is really too big is pixel size. In actual size it's just 245K, so doesnt take that much time for 54ks to open my sig.

Can I get the same kind of quality pictures and effects in flash as in photoshop and illustrator?
    If I import files from photoshop or illustrator to flash, will the size of the image increase, decrease or stay the same? Same question about the quality.

Originally posted by chivenyc
    I'm working on smaller sigs now. The one I have right now is really too big is pixel size. In actual size it's just 245K, so doesnt take that much time for 54ks to open my sig.

Can I get the same kind of quality pictures and effects in flash as in photoshop and illustrator?
    If I import files from photoshop or illustrator to flash, will the size of the image increase, decrease or stay the same? Same question about the quality.
    Actually 245k Does take a while to download on a 56k modem.
    It can take 30 + seconds.
    And i would go with flash. you can chose the quality of flash animation when you make the .swf file. the final file size will depend wether you use a series of pictures or annimate some vetor based ones.

Cfser
    Veni, vidi , Edidi

Any good flash tutorials for noobs like me?

i did a search for "flash toturials" on google, and there is stunning few pages who host totruials. None i dont want to recomend becouse they looked bad.

Perhaps it would be nice to have VTM for flash.... If they have time
    - RiviEr

Hey,

Check out this site
    http://www.flashkit.com/index.shtml
    I have found it very helpfull.

Cfser
    Veni, vidi , Edidi

Flsh would be better specially if you are doing a morph b/c it is all being generated from mathematical data, where the gif file supports up to 256 colors and will dupplicat much of the graphics each frame. So larger it will be, and slower to download.

Gif however, will save space if you are using a select amount of color in you animation. So for people that do not have flash installed (which is like a sin) will beable to see it. In the end I still beleive flash file size will be smaller if that is most important to you.