image plains slow maya down....

hi all, just following a lovely tutorial about building a furby (aaaah) and part of it involves including image plains. As soon as I pop these in maya starts running like crap. The images are only smallish jpgs (500*400px). It would appear to be to do with screen redraw as when I change them to outline maya pops its speedy shoes back on. My system is relatively good, and it definatly feels like I shoulden't be getting this kind of pefromance hit. Any ideas much appreciated....

Give this a try and see if it helps.
    Dez
    Pipeline Technical Director
    Legend 3D | VFX

Cheers Sir, thanks for the quick response - I will give that a go and see if it speeds things up. So should I acccept that maya justs grinds to a halt using the standard image planes? I'm running a pentium 4 2.8 1024mb ati 9600... It seems unlikely that it would have such an impact...?

///man - scrub the above - you rock! Sticking them on new cameras makes it run at least a zilllion times faster.

Ta

Jules
    Last edited by Droolz; 10-21-2004 at 03:05 PM.

When you are working in Maya looking through the camera that has an image plane, yes it will often slow down considerably to refresh the video. Exactly how much all depends on your video card. By using special cameras that are only to hold the image plane you eliminate the refresh cost in your camera and thus speeding up your workflow.
    Dez
    Legend 3D | VFX

Sweet Dez thats some damn good advise I'm using that all of the time now thanks a bunch .... I feel like I owe you money for that tip LOL
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    www.verafx.net
    IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

Yeah what ^^^ they said

1) Put the imageplane on a camera you're not looking through. I always make a new camera, e.g. side when putting in a new imageplane (hint: it's also nice to put the imageplane + camera on a seperate layer so you can easily switch it off).

2) Try to keep your imageplanes to equal dimensions, e.g. 512 x 512, not 512 x 453 etc.
    Dan 'pezz' Kronholm.
    Currently working on: The MMO class!.
    Previously working on: Game called "Boom Bots", while learning Unity and C#. WIP thread here.

No problemo, don't mention it. This type of question has come up several times before. Not only on this board, but on many other forums I frequent as well. That's when I decided to write the tutorial and just link people to their answer that way.
    Dez
    Legend 3D | VFX

Smart because since its such a great way to get things done. I would have thought that books would have that all of the time in it but they don't. Also I never seen a tutorial on it. So thats a great idea. I also think that there are enough tutorials out there on modeling and the regular stuff thats why your tutorial is so good because no one has it. Keep up the good work.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    www.verafx.net
    IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!