Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HL2 vs DOOM3

HL2 vs DOOM3

I dunno if you've seen it already guys, but if you haven't, well, here it is
    Comparison
    Well, I love DOOM3. I play it for about 5 minutes, and I have to turn the god mode becaues I'm scared. Yeah, I know, pathetic. I never use cheats, but this game just scares me. Tight corners, completely dark, and big blobby monsters popping out every 5 seconds; I just have to use the god mode. Next time I should try playing on lower skill level .
    HL2, well, I've seen about 16 videos from the GameSpot, and the game, its graphics, and physics look just AMAZING. Can't wait until it comes out to retail stores on NOVEMBER 16TH .
    However, when either Unreal3 or UnrealTournament20## comes out using the UnrealEngine3, it's gonna be THE BEST. It'll be a connection of both DOOM3 AND HL2 in one game.

Click on the sig to see my previous ones.
    If you play DayOfDefeat, check out the clan I'm a member of: StormTroopers

I've never played Half-life but I do want to get Team Fortress 2 when it comes out

I played doom3 for about a week (off and on, not a straight week) about 2-3 months ago, and haven't really played it since. It's not a bad game, I just don't find it that entertaining, since, when I wanted to play it again, I had no idea what to do.

I am really looking forward to half life 2, even if I don't really play half life 2 much, all the mods that will come out for it will make it worth the purchase.

Few of us have tried HF2 , only a handful of game magazines etc.

Anyways, what i can look from pictures and ingame screenshots is that Half-life 2 have much more realistic light system, just look at cs source. The physics are defently much better, and the A.i cant almost be compared. So my final thoughts are:

Doom3 is great for its type of horror sceenes, but cant be much more than that with its curent engine.

Doom3 with SDK will be awesome, i cant wait to see tweaked engines.

Half-life2 (as ive tested the engine in cs source) Looks like the programers wanted to create a realistic game as they could possible do, and they aperently did verry good.

anyways, there is allot more i could add, but this is the first lines thats pops into my mind.
    - RiviEr

I have Doom3 and HL2 has been on order since I can remember. I did cancel that order when they offered the special ed. and preorder that.

I wanted HL2 more than Doom 3 I'd have to say. Doom 3 did show off what it could do before HL presented itself, and I was impressed. But it feels like the game should have come out maybe 6 months to a year earlier. And well there were both cases of theft that we have to thank. And I think they should have released a high resolution geometry pack for hardcore gamers with big video cards. Seeing that the head of my main character or other characters are not smooth bothers me a little, when I know it can be and they are just catering to the weaker cards. I don't mind that, but a LOD should have been in there, or versions of models.

I am however happy to own Doom3 for the experience, and I'm looking forward to playing with the editor. HL2, well I just want to play it!

I love doom 3 and I'm expecting to love hl2 as well. I prefer the graphics of D3, but I can't wait to get out of the hallways and stretch my legs in the large environements of hl2. I personally didn't care for the first hl, but I have high hopes for hl2.

Doom's graphics were "thick." Lots of awesomeness, but in cramped spaces.

D3 was almost perfect for what it was, and HL2 should satisfy all the desires you had while playing D3.

i cant wait to see tweaked engines.
    Quake 4 is coming soon. D3 with large outdoor environements, brighter levels, and sometimes a squad of allies.

Seeing that the head of my main character or other characters are not smooth bothers me a little, when I know it can be and they are just catering to the weaker cards. I don't mind that, but a LOD should have been in there, or versions of models.
    The heads were a little square at certain angles in D3, but EVERYTHING is square in HL2 in order to handle the large environements. Doesn't matter as long as the game is fun.

edit: I decided to do some comparing and I've decided that I don't like the faces in HL2. They have tons of muscles, but that doesn't mean much if the face still looks bizarre. There is something wrong with G-man's lip. It's great to have the detail, but I can't stop staring at his lip. The HL2 faces look like the characters have lost some facial movement due to plastic surgery or something. The faces in D3 seem much more realistic even though it's obvious they have less expressive potential. Expressive faces don't mean much if you don't use them well. The slightly bizarre HL2 facial expressions are going to drive me insane. Only a minor thing, but I notice wierd things like that.
    Last edited by stabinbach; 10-24-2004 at 08:33 PM.

I think Quake IV is going to be greate just because Raven is dealing with it. Reaven has a history of taking franchises under their wing and keeping them gold.

I think we are due another Hexen game too. What do you think? A lot of old FPS could be brought back to life with Engines like Doom 3 and HL2.
    Last edited by ArcAngelous; 10-25-2004 at 11:52 PM.

I think that HL-2 have a better gameplay cause Doom3 was only scared sh*t. The whole time you are afraid and looking in all corners.
    And the second is that HL-2 has a better storyline then D3.
    Doom3 was just walking from A to B and from B to C...
    Buzz? If you were here you get a big hugg!!

That 'technology' comparison is a stinking pile of (insert expletive here). Now, don't get me wrong, I'm hugely hyped about HL2 (HL was the first game I followed in development pre-release, even), and I really enjoyed Doom3, but to claim that that article is a comparison of technology is like... I dunno, some creative, witty, and funny simile that I can't think of right now.

I mean, the character shot is ridiculous. Let's take a full-resolution screen cap from a video of one of the most important characters in HL2 (which gets like 3-4 times the poly detail of a normal character; who knows about skin resolution) and compare it with Doom3 content on low settings. Whee!

Most of the comparisons are based on art content and conscious design decisions, no less. There is no good comparison of the technology at the core level available. In raw power, Doom3 pushes far more than Source, but all the comparisons come, again, from art content and design decisions. It'll take a few licensee projects (Vampire, Quake IV, etc.) to really demonstrate each engine effectively.

I just can't believe that article got -any- publicity whatsoever.

I agree with you Anderw W. The Doom3 engine has much more to show us. And it was build around design issues and things that Carmac wanted to tackle. And well, he is still the only major developer that can get the video card manufactures to build hardware to support his software.

The assets in Doom 3 are well done and they are minimalist. I respect that id wanted the game to hit the largest audience as possible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast