Lightbulb Basic Walk Cycle

Hey all,

I'd like anyones opinions on this walk cycle i whipped up after my first animation lecture at Uni.

The rig was put together pretty quickly, so my proportions are probably out. Also i realise there is a slight slide in the animation on some of the steps, but the idea was to try to give the guy some weight, and some character. I think i've done this but would like some more opinions.

You can see the animation here (DivX 5): http://www.mbdesign.co.uk/temp/walk.avi

Thanks

Mat.

I think you need to re-render the animation. I only see the first frame.
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

Hmm, it works where i'm sitting and people have seen it on our Uni's forum and commented it. Sure you're not having troubles where you are?

I can re-render it if you like, but it's worked for myself and some others already.

Thanks for lookin though.

Mat...

Weird .. I loaded the frames into ram player and it worked. I don't know what's going on with the regular media player. Anyway .. about the walk cycle. To me the stride seems too long. And the hips don't roll up/down or front/back to simulate the weight shift. Also I notice a bit of foot slide.
    Last edited by Paul Holm; 10-18-2004 at 04:22 PM.
    Paul Holm
    Toronto

"The potato peelings in the sink, did not turn into vodka as I had hoped." - Mishka Shubaly

It may be due to your rig but I think you need to have the shoulders rotate, maybe add in some clavicals. The othere problem is the arms which need to swing a bit more. At the moment it kinda looks like a punching movement.

Hope that helps.

You're obviously using IK for the arms and only have 1 keyframes per arm in for each step. Baaaad. The arms have to move in an ark. Arks are very important in animation ingeneral, practicaly nothing moves in a straight line. usually FK gives better arks, so use FK for the arms..... Although I a very good animator who uses IK for the arms but he puts so many keyframes on his arms that you can't tell that it's Ik and he gets very nice movement with arks.

On the feet, you need to a contact pose, where his foot lands on the heel first and then being totally planted on the ground.

Anyways, get "the Animator's Survival Kit" by Richard Williams. He's got a huge section on walkcycles and it's pretty good.

[edit] oh and please don't render at such high resolution, there's no need for that. I'm viewing it at %50 and it's already quite big enough at half the size.

I see the same problem with only seeing the first frame, and I tried to view it on three different OS's and platforms, I was only able to view it in full with DivX player.....I agree, there is no need to render at high resolutions...

Hi

Nice walk, but the pelvis is motionless and so is the spine

worked fine in real player, just had to hit play