image planes, How to use them?

In the character VTM they how what I believe it called image planes, of Xuriel. Well I have the VTM Resource Files with them put can not figure out how to use them, as that was not covered in the VTM’s. (That sound you hear is Wolfknight crying). So I tried opening them and that did not work, then I tried to import them and it came up in it’s own widow. But how do I make those cool side and front views like in the VTM’s?

There are a few ways to add them.

Easy Way
    1) In the toolbar for the window you want the plane in goto
    "View" -> "Image Plane" -> "Import Image..."
    open the image you want, then in the Artibute Editer you can adjust it's options.

what program are you using?

90% chance of it being Maya 5/Maya 5PLE if he is following along with the Xuriel VTMs.

The instructions I posted are for Maya.

Yes, sorry, I thought I said in Maya 5 PLE. Also that was helpful I got it to work. But I still don’t understand how to set them up so perfectly like they did in the VTM. You know so that I can use both angles to help sculpt the model. Can anyone tell me how to do that? Also how do you make the drawing in the first place? Were they drawn on paper and then scanned into photoshop, or were they drawn in photoshop? If drawn in photoshop then by mouse or pin? What size and what not were they done with. In other words, how do you make the right size? But mostly I just want to know how to set up the Xuriel images so I can follow the VTM.

in the Artibute Editer you can adjust it's options
    You can resize and agjust it with the atrib editor.

Originally posted by Wolfknightly
    Also how do you make the drawing in the first place? Were they drawn on paper and then scanned into photoshop, or were they drawn in photoshop?
    I believe they were drawn on paper and scanned.

Originally posted by Wolfknightly
    What size and what not were they done with. In other words, how do you make the right size?
    Well, if hes 6 inches high in the front, draw him 6 inches high in the side, 2.5 inches wide in the front, draw him 2.5 inches wide in the top, etc.

Ok I am back trying to use the image plans. I am still having trouble getting them lined up right. I don’t know how to make the image plan sit still. Instead it is just attached to my camera so that when I move my camera it moves with it. I tried going form attached camera to fixed but that just puts them in the middle and in the some spot. By them I mean the side and front view. And I don’t know how to move them when fixed. Plus they still move with the camera one way in the perspective view. I need one to be one the Z line and one to be on the X and away from each other.

Figured it out

Alright, I figured it out. You have to import the image plans into the front and side view windows to get them to stay put. Then in the perspective view you can move around without the image planes moving with you. If you import the image plane in the perspective view it will not be as fixed when you turn. You can fix the plan in the image plane attributes and move the image plane to the position you want by adjusting the three number slots to the right of the word Center. One thing I found odd was that when you import the same image plane into the perspective view and fix the image it gets a lot smaller then the ones fixed in the front and side view. Anyone know why that is? It’s not important, just curious.

Why would you want a stationary image plane in the perspective view? If it were stationary in there every time you turn your model it would misalign off the reference image...

it is warping it to fit into the side, front, and so forth views.