Deco layer question

Hallo everyone. I am curious to know, how much deco layer can UT2K3 really support? I don't know if youve played fable or not, but I LOVE the grass, and the other little bushes, ect that it uses, and its ALL OVER and I'd love to pull off something like that. is it possible?

Thanks alot and cheers!

Probably not to the extent that Fable has. However, it really depends on your efficiency in using polys and your fadeout radius. DecoLayers are just polys like anything else. As long as you keep your total polys to a reasonable level, your map will play alright.

Yes you could if you wanted, but it would be better to set a 'Fade distance' for your grass as there is not much point drawing it any further than you can see actually (even then that might be way too far)

The unreal engine can support a ton of crap. The issue isn't in what you can put in a map, it's how much you can put in the map and still have it run reasonably. If you want to take screenshots, then frames per second aren't really an issue. Also, keep in mind that Fable is running on an xbox, which is running at 800 mhz (inferior to most PCs running Unreal Tournament). The graphics card is also similar to a mid-range card on a PC. My point here is that a PC has superior hardware on all counts, and the trick to this situation is learning how to optimize your scenes and create the same kind of ILLUSIONS that Fable does.

There have been mentions in the previous 2 posts about fading, and this is something you should definately use. There are some much more advanced techniques you could employ also, such as multiple layers with different fade distances, as well as creating your own deco and taking care to keep the poly count low. You could even combine volumetrics at long range with simple meshes at mid-range and detailed meshes at close range to give the appearance that all of the deco is high-poly when it isn't. It all depends on how much time you want to spend on the project.

If you're planning on making a series of maps it would be a good idea to create one with a basic terrain, layout all of your decoration and get the settings configured for optimization purposes, and then use that map as a template for the rest of them so you don't have to redo everything. The optimization process will take a LONG time, and if you don't know how the engine works it will take you longer (since you need to learn how first ). However, the results can be quite nice if it's executed properly.

Keep in mind that while there may not be specified engine limits, there are basic hardware limitations that you need to be aware of. You can't render 500,000 polys, for example. If your texture usage exceeds the capacity of the video card, there are going to be problems. Test your map as you work. You should test in large, wide open areas with lots of deco so you get a feel for how much detail you can have and what the performance costs will be.

well I know on fable they use fading, you can see it all over the place. Except for in certain areas, they have it set up to be there alot further away, for instance, a field in the distance.

Thanks for hte info everyone, take it easy!

cheers