Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well the Xbox reads the disc ok. So I guess it must be my drive. Still upsetting though. Especially considering that when I first got the disc it worked fine.

u tried resurfacing? like discdoctor? saved my FFX disc ^^
    Please Visit our Friends at: 3D-Palace | Pixel Academy | CG Networks | MELScripting.com | Inferno3d | Ed Harriss
    � Always read the FAQs! Lounge FAQ | Main FAQ | Demondo's Revised FAQ | 3DSMax FAQ | Houdini Apprentice FAQ
    � Need a star? Be active! Read threads, post, make polls, and participate. I garuntee it's more rewarding when you try! More info here.
    � Don't forget to help spread the word about 3dbuzz anywhere you can...EXAMPLE OF SILLY IDEAS THAT HELP
    Help support the future of 3dbuzz by becoming a MEMBER SPONSOR. Thank you to our current member sponsors!

Originally posted by Demondo
    Well the Xbox reads the disc ok. So I guess it must be my drive. Still upsetting though. Especially considering that when I first got the disc it worked fine.
    Reminds you of the old Xboxes doesn't it?

I have owned a couple of these Disc Doctor type things, they work to an extent, i'd go to a video game store, or a blockbuster, they have machines that can resurface discs, this works GREAT, just like new, its only $3 so id give it a try, if it doesnt work after that, then its your drive.

And thats all.

Since it used to work on that drive but now doesn't and it still works on another drive (Xbox)... there can be many reasons for it acting up but maybe I have some ideas for things you haven't tried yet.

It works in your Xbox so I'm assuming this is a Video DVD and not data. Video DVDs get into trouble mainly with the lead-in section of the disk (part closest to the center). Tiny cracks or scratches (you may not even be able to see) in this area give errors to the laser. Data correction algorithms fix this most of the time but your drive's pre-buffering firmware or the computers operating system simply gives up after re-reading the sector just a few hundred times.

The Xbox designers know that game disks get thrown around and scratched so the drive is less picky about perfect sectors. They re-read many more times and even try to skip unreadable data to try and move on anyway. This is very much like how many consumer set-top DVD players work, a misread section just gives you a skip or pause in the video.

Anyway, here are the things I'd try. First try different DVD player software. Even if the OS says it can't see a disk in the drive, most players will query the drive directly for a disk. If your using Windows, Media Player 9 with video package add-on does seem to work when others don't... amazingly. The other option is to back-up the DVD to your hard drive (for viewing or burning to blank DVD). I use a free program called DVDShrink . It has backed up badly scratched DVDs (that skip and pause) to perfect condition.

I guess it comes down to if trying these things are more of a hassle than paying to repurchase the DVD. Good Luck.

have you tried cleaning the drive. It sounds as though the disc is fine you might want to track down a lens cleaner for the DVD drive. they are normaly easy to find and worth a try if you think the drive lens could be dirty.

will the lap top read all your other discs ?

In the worst case, you can always try to make a copy of the disc and see if that works. You would even be using a DVD writer for it's LEGAL purpose
    Technical Artist at LuGus Studios
    www.lugus-studios.be

nielsVaes.be

ever tried to look for a firmware update?

One thing I find useful is CD restoring polish. A couple of drops on the disc and then polish it around with a soft cloth. It helps restore the smaller scratches and cleans the disc at the same time.

Worth a try if you can find it.

If you were going to try cleaning it, I've heard that toothpaste can help clean CDs. A smooth paste in a circular motion. -- Guide to Cleaning CDs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast