Best approach for mdodeling a building

Hi,

I'm about to build a map of our school (i'm a teacher) and wonder which technique would be the best use of resourses ( in terms smaller file sizes, better game play, easier material editing, etc).....

Building it using the Unreal Editor or buld it in Max and bring it in as a static mesh?

Would there be any other reasons I might face down the road that would make one choice better than the other?

Thanks, Steve
    Dubai

Id say youd probly want to do it in max, maybe 1 or 2 smeshes in the editor would be ok, but if your wanting alot of custom smeshes id say do it in max or maya.
    -Rampage-

Can I clearify? Better to model the whole building using a static mesh or BSP

Sorry about replying to my own post but want to clearify: Is it better to do the whole building as a staic mesh in Max or BSP in the Editor? Is one easier to wor with in terms of size , materials, etc.

Thanks, Steve

Well it depend on what you think would work the best for you, if your better in moddeling things in max i would go and make it in max, but if your really good in ued you can also make it in there. About the amount of work well the use off textures can be easily assigned in ued, and alot of the textures ued uses can be use for your building. about the size and stuff like that well i think in max you can make the meshes detailed a lot easier then doing it in ued, but im not that good in ued. also you can use both programs to make the map, the basic things can easily be done in ued and it would work a lot faster then if you have to import everything as a mesh, but i also think you want to have some nice meshes like shoolbords and maybe chairs and stuff like that and i think the fasted way to that is by making them in max, but like i said itdepends on how good you are in ued.

I'm no Expert, but I prefer to do a combo of BSP/StaticMshes. Even if in the end no BSP is showing, having BSP in the Map helps Optomization greatly(need BSP for Zoning).

I would use a combination of both also, one thing to keep in mind is that you don't have to make a model that is exported from a 3d app into a static mesh, if you use the plugins supplied by epic you can import the meshes made in the 3d app into ued as a brush and make it non-solid, semi-solid, or a solid BSP brush and keep texture UV layout and textures. Both methods have pros and cons, you just have to look at what you are making along with which things will be best rendered by the engine and how.

combo

a combo will do u best
    Make a BSP the main structure of the bldg and static mesh the smaller parts--
    it can all be done in Max, however the lighting is the main difference.
    the downside to SM's can be the lighting on their surface-- it isnt as great as the lighting u get on BSP surfaces
    but that is all relative to the design. SM's can be made to look good. u just have to work with them a lil' more sometimes
    In general, most of the data from the guys who created Unreal say in their docs that a blend of BSP and SM is usually best for map designs.

if your worried about the performance of the computer, make sure you use a lot of zone portals and anti portals.