More Inpersonator Questions

Has anyone had any luck exporting an LBP with a custom rig? Everytime i try it crashes Maya, so I'm guessing it has something to do with how my input LBP file is set up and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of documentation on custom rigs. Thanks in advance.
    Technical Artist - 106th ODST Division, Fireteam Tango Alpha Echo

I haven't got around to working on a custom rig and exporting it yet, so I can't really help. Sorry. There isn't much documentation on Impersonator, period. It would be nice if UDN would make the Impersonator sections open to all. I bet there is a lot of useful info on those pages that could help out the mod community.

Actually i did finally get it to work and yeah the docs didn't really help that much at all Originally my problem was that it was hanging when i tried to export an LBP from my custom rig, but it seemed to work if i used one of their LBPs instead of writing my own. Strange.

Custom mapping information

Creating a custom rig with Impersonator is not for the faint of heart. By custom rig, I mean a rig that does not use the 15 targets (Eat, Earth, If, Ox, Oat, etc.) for lip-synchronization. A "custom rig" that uses these 15 targets but has a different number of bones is trivial and should not pose a problem.

You have to modify the beginning of at least one LBP file by hand. The problem is that the Max/Maya tools automatically assume you are using the standard rig. You change the name of the targets (Eat, Earth If, etc.) to the name of your custom targets, and you have to change the mapping of the phonemes to those targets. If you only define 8 targets for your custom rig, you only want to have 8 columns in the mapping table at the beginning of the LBP file. When you export the LBP file, export the number of poses in your custom rig plus 4 poses for the blinks and eyebrows. If everything works, you should be able to import the poses in the custom LBP file back into Max/Maya and the LBP file should not cause any errors when you import it into UnrealEd and generate an animation.

So the moral of the story is that if you really want to do it, it can be done, but if you have the patience to wait for the next version of Impersonator (called FaceFX) then things will be much easier for you.

its actually not that hard once you figure out what your targets are. we use impersonator where i work and once you have everything set up the way you want to its pretty simple. your DCC app can actually be told what you want your rig to be, it doesnt assume what you're using, it uses whatever you specify in the input files, so as long as you set your files up correctly first its not a big deal. its weird, using a custom rig isnt a difficult process, it's just not well documented.