Constraining controls to joint chains

Greetz all, Is there a way to constrain a control to the end of an Ik chain? ie, if i have an arm with an ik handle that goes shoulder to wrist, then a control at the wrist that the handle is point constrained to, is there a way to keep the control constrained or otherwise attached to the wrist joint so that when I move the control object around it never leaves the wrist joint? I've tried point constraining the ik handle to the control object then constraining the control object back to the joint, which seems to work, but i could see it causing some weird problems in the future. Any suggestions?
    Technical Artist - 106th ODST Division, Fireteam Tango Alpha Echo

It sound like what you're trying to do is kinda circular. The IK drives the joint, the control drives the IK, and the joint drives the control...I can see a large breakdown there.

If you just want to use a control for the IK, do this:

Make your control, place it on the joint (via the 'v' key for the snap) then delete it's history.

Parent the IK handle to the control.

Now you'll have 0,0,0 information to snap the control back to normal, and the arm will follow the control. The only time the control will leave the wrist is when the joint can't stretch that far.

Have a question about Maya or Web Dev? I'll try my best to give you a hand. PM for my email, or reach me on Skype or AIM as Johnska7.

Did this post help you at all? Please feel free add to my reputation . Positive Feedback makes me happy!

Tutorial Writer | Adjunct Professor of Advanced 3d Modeling and Animation

Originally posted by JD
    It sound like what you're trying to do is kinda circular. The IK drives the joint, the control drives the IK, and the joint drives the control...I can see a large breakdown there.
    Actually it is a horribly circular flow, which is why i abandoned it, it works to a point and i imagine since everything is baked anyway it could work, but it was taking way more work to get stuff set initially than i was comfortable with):

The only time the control will leave the wrist is when the joint can't stretch that far.
    Which is the problem I'm trying to avoid. The issue is that I'm not using the control object to move the chain. The control object after having the ik handle constrained to it is being then constrained to something else, which is being used to move the chain. Ahh well, i'll figure something out. . .
    Technical Artist - 106th ODST Division, Fireteam Tango Alpha Echo