Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Using Dual PIII VS. one P4....

I have built many computers. But my Dual PIII 866 133 runs fast then a P4 1.8. You would think the new P4 whould be faster then 2 866 wich comes out to 1.732. Plus the new P4 has faster Mhz and better ram for it. Why this is, I dont know. But the Xeons are getting cheap enough to run Dual or Quad systems. That what I want to build next. A Quad Xeon system with all Scsi 15000 Cheetahs in it.....

Just wondering, do you really need the fast HDs???

Re: Using Dual PIII VS. one P4....

Originally posted by Blackassheep
    I have built many computers. But my Dual PIII 866 133 runs fast then a P4 1.8. You would think the new P4 whould be faster then 2 866 wich comes out to 1.732. Plus the new P4 has faster Mhz and better ram for it. Why this is, I dont know. But the Xeons are getting cheap enough to run Dual or Quad systems. That what I want to build next. A Quad Xeon system with all Scsi 15000 Cheetahs in it.....
    Depends alot on the architectur and what OS you are using. But i know what you mean, i had a Dual 866 Mzh pentium III just like you, and i can tell you that speed is showing when working with software that know Multi-Threading but comparing sometime to others software your computer will run slower. But Dual CPU system always run faster, like Quad CPU system. I am trying to get all the parts for a Dual AMD MP 2000+.

Originally posted by Alife513
    Just wondering, do you really need the fast HDs???
    You'll get the most benefit with scsi if you do video editing or deal with large files.

Yes, but only if your running some real fast speeds. Like dual 1.0g or like a Quad Xeon 2.0g. But anything else, not really. only with vidoe edititing to achive real time.
    "There is always more than one way to complete a task"

--Mike Rowland

IMHO people get really fast stuff when they don't need it. Sure it sounds cool to have U160 SCSI drives, but who needs them anyway.

Originally posted by Alife513
    IMHO people get really fast stuff when they don't need it. Sure it sounds cool to have U160 SCSI drives, but who needs them anyway.
    yeah ditto.

looking at those specs make me want to go buy one... then i realize.. i have no use for it
    Forever always seems
    to be around when things begin
    but forever never seems
    to be around when things end...

I never knew dual pc's could give faster results!!!
    "Reality is merely an illusion..."

---------Albert Einstein-------

The original P4's were horrendously slow... many people recommended a PIII or a Taulatin PIII with high Mhz. Now, the most recent P4 releases like the 2.4Ghz procs should be faster than the 1.8 you mentioned. Dual is not always faster than a single... but in some apps like 3d, they can be, but a PIII 866 dual will probably lose to a P4 2.4 .

Mane

I checked the price lisitings and everything. Duals cost more and the efficiency is increased only by 2-3%. Not that much for a 50-100 dollars increase in price
    "Reality is merely an illusion..."

---------Albert Einstein-------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast