Thread: particle glow

particle glow

Is it possible somehow to add glow to particles without instancing geometry to them?

Like the glow you see when you use special effects glow with the Blinn shader.

As far as I know, the closest thing particles have to glow is color accumulation. But that is only rendered to a hot white color like the base of fire. This is because particles are rendered with the hardware render buffer and it does not support shader glow. The best thing if you need your particles to glow is to add it in post with a package like Shake or After Effects.
    Dez
    Pipeline Technical Director
    Legend 3D | VFX

If you can get away with it, you can set your particles type to one of the software rendered options and then assign a normal shader to the particles, which will give you the glow option.
    Technical Artist - 106th ODST Division, Fireteam Tango Alpha Echo

I stand corrected...I found out tonight that shader glow does work with blobby particles. The other types do not accept shader glow but blobbies do.
    Dez
    Pipeline Technical Director
    Legend 3D | VFX

Actually all the software rendered types will take shader glows, so you're not explicitly limited to blobby surfaces.
    Technical Artist - 106th ODST Division, Fireteam Tango Alpha Echo

I tried it and got pretty good results with Pcloud and glow but render time is a bit high I was wondering if you could get some glow type effect using Sprites?