Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    UI creation is pretty frustrating, alot of the stuff doesn't act the way you (I) think it should):

Return values on some of the polygon operations are kinda useless too.

Some nodes don't contain the info you think they should (i.e. references)

Selection order of components isn't preserved
    Technical Artist - 106th ODST Division, Fireteam Tango Alpha Echo

there are couple of things:

1.Mental Ray plugin often dissapearing

2.Can't create a sharp edge when working with vertices ( I want to convert one vertice to a sharp one)

3.Attaching nurbs(objects dissapearing)
    Boolean union (objects dissapearing)

it takes a lot of experimentation with reverse directions and stuff... this stuff should be easier, there should be a guide helping to resolve the problem

4. Often when I changed attribute on the right and hit render button, there is a message to select the viewport, this is stupid, I didn't change the viewport anyway.

5. EnvSky.....this feature is very confusing, why isn't it so easy as in Bryce to create skies?

6. there should be a way to save presets of EnvSky.

yeah thats another thing, why in the Globals do you specify the camera you want to render from and then when the viewport isnt selected it wont render untill you make it active, thats silly,
    site

insert witty comment here

Damn renderer freezes up alot on big resolutions, and is quite slow for me with even seemingly simple scenes. (i'm running 3.2 p4 /w 1 gig ram...)

It's a great package overall though the renderer makes me throw my mouse at the wall, and yank the power cord out sometimes.

yeah that happens to me, but its still rendering, just wait a while and it will finish.
    site

I just thought I'd throw in that you might want to take a look at the Multilister! The Multilister is like a mini Hypershade and is much smaller and faster.

Also, I would have to disagree with the renderers being slow. If you take the time to learn how rendering works and what all the attributes do, rendering can take just a few seconds as opposed to minutes with the default settings. Of course it depends on each scene etc

And MEL is the answer to everything! Of course not everyone wants to learn MEL, but if you do it means you can create whatever new features you want or edit the way Maya does things.

Read the new (constantly expanding) Mental Ray sticky thread for info on Mental Ray in Maya! It includes a FAQ, Glossary, a list of tutorials and info on the latest MR shaders!

Click here to see my showcase page.
    And here to see my Maya tutorials (7 so far).

Originally posted by Jozvex
    I just thought I'd throw in that you might want to take a look at the Multilister! The Multilister is like a mini Hypershade and is much smaller and faster.

Also, I would have to disagree with the renderers being slow. If you take the time to learn how rendering works and what all the attributes do, rendering can take just a few seconds as opposed to minutes with the default settings. Of course it depends on each scene etc

And MEL is the answer to everything! Of course not everyone wants to learn MEL, but if you do it means you can create whatever new features you want or edit the way Maya does things.

i heard Alais was gonna get rid of the multilister back in Maya 5.0, hope they dont in future versions, like you said quick way of accessing nodes.

Also about renderingfg, most people think software render buffer is the only way to do thing, beside MR, if you doing an animation, character animation and finsished a few seconds, ok you may want to render in MR but try out the Hardware render buffer, its much quick and you can get quality redners scene's in seconds not minutes or hours.

I remember readinag a reivew of Maya 6.0 in 3dworld, one of his "Cons" was, too many renderes. lol
    site

As im just learning maya from max and agree with many of previous comments..

a smaller annoyace would be some of the terminolgy - its often not logical and sometimes just bad. Makes it a little harder to learn i guess.. but once you know i guess ya know.

umm..

i really find the panel layout overkill sometimes - like the attribute editor. max fits it into a nice small connad panel - why cant maya. often faced with a huge window and nothing in it.

um.. argee with renderer being slow - and yes with tweaking it can get quick but so can others with tweaking. off the bat a scanline max render seems to be faster with more quality.

ive noticed a few things about how options dont work with others yet greying out dont not happen.

does alias have some continuity between interface elements?! somethings is a checkbox, sometimes its a dropdown with one option, sometimes its a type in box with only 2 values. Probably has something to do later on but for now its does not always make sense.

a box or section with for tools options to always so would be great.. find i waste a lot of time opening settings, reseting or changing and working.. so half the time i feel i need to check it over before i use it.. meaning every time i use a tool i have to check it.

arrrh.. there is tons i could rabble on about and half dont really bother me THAT much .. still a great program but makes me jst think WTF - thats so... sometimes.

oh.. almost forgot!!!

MY DOCUMENTS > MAYA ...is crap. Let the end user set this to point where they wish - i hate it when programs do this!!

Originally posted by revilo
    MY DOCUMENTS > MAYA ...is crap. Let the end user set this to point where they wish - i hate it when programs do this!!
    You can change it, you create a new Windows environment variable called MAYA_APP_DIR and then for the Value you type in the new path.

Read the new (constantly expanding) Mental Ray sticky thread for info on Mental Ray in Maya! It includes a FAQ, Glossary, a list of tutorials and info on the latest MR shaders!

Click here to see my showcase page.
    And here to see my Maya tutorials (7 so far).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast