Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

What parts of Maya most frustrates you

I love Maya, but it has areas where frustration kicks in. So here’s a few to start with.

Assigning a material in Maya is a pain.
    I hate the right click on an object menu, not because of the idea, but because of the way it is implemented. The menu doesn’t stay, but requires holding the mouse button.I addition to this, this menu doesn’t have a diagonal skip which means you have to move the mouse in a strait line to get out of an item and enter the submenu in a perpendicular angle. And if you are like me using high resolutions on your monitor, repetitive stress injuries are guaranteed if you have to assign hundreds of materials. In fact I believe 50% of the time I miss selecting a material on the first try. And on all video tutorials I’ve seen, including Buzz videos, the material menu selection was missed more than once. The Ideal solution for me would be a menu that stays open without holding the mouse and nice diagonal mouse skip. Even better how about tear off menus for New and Used materials in the main menu bar accessible by a hot key .

The other way of assigning a material is from Hypershade, which is a huge window that opens like a middle size helper program – far from an elegant solution for a quick one time material assignment. Once in Hypershade I don’t have much to complain about, except for one thing – Maya should be smart enough to assign through right clicking a material directly from the create material side bar, unlike the current way to first assign the material to the project and then to the object.

There’s a page in the Alias web site where anybody can request a feature. I already did a couple, but haven’t asked for this one since my previous requests were not satisfied in v.6.

I already asked for:

Undo hot key directly from all Maya windows especially Attribute editor so that we don’t have to click in a viewport or other undo hotkey compatible windows before that.

Clicking in the render icon on the status bar, shouldn’t ask to activate a view if the current layout is in one view. An example for instance: In one view layout with the Hypershade active, clicking on the render icon will produce the message “Please select the view you want to render.”

Since I don’t see any reason not to have those I guess it’s a matter of demand, priority, and cost for changes like these. So all I can do is share those with you to see what you think about it and what are your most frustrating experiences with Maya.

One simple thing:
    Gettin' the model you want lookin' perfectly

Although I just started- I bet I will find other things that are a pain...

Addis

I'm quite frustrated with the Maya renderer. It is slow even for simple things (compared to Lightwave, Max or Cinema) and IPR doesn't work with Raytrace. MentalRay is super slow too.
    Also the Maya renderer is crash sensitive, when rendering a (heavy) scene, I can't switch to another window (like MSN or IE) otherwise the render window will start to crash. Seems it can't work in the background.

I also don't like the hypershade, although it can do a lot, I would prefer a material editor that will have material object selection(dropdown list) and material attributes all in one window. (Like the one in Lightwave)
    Now when I work on materials in Maya, it takes too much screen space (Hypeshade + attribute editor)

But other that these I really have nothing to complain about this fantastic program!

Originally posted by bchew007
    I'm quite frustrated with the Maya renderer. It is slow even for simple things (compared to Lightwave, Max or Cinema) and IPR doesn't work with Raytrace. MentalRay is super slow too.
    I agree with that... but my brother told me this funny story that on our really old computer (that was top of the line then...) on 3Dstudio he modeled a car and it took 6 hours to render!!
    That makes Maya seem so fast...although it could be faster... oh well.

Addis

hmm i like the maya renderer, does what i need it to do and doesnt kick up a fuss, Gi joe even runs smooth and that with 64 idirectional lights and a whole bunch of object, and all the lights have dmap, so i cant complain.

One thing that really fustrates me is there arent any scolling windows, you in the hypershade, and you want to scroll down to get a 3d fractal, you have to click and drag to get down there you cant scroll. Its the same in the attribute editor and anywhere else, i hear in Maya 6 you can have scrolling viewports that work in ... yep you guessed it the viewports, hypershade, hypergraph, Curve Editor pretty much anywher that can be zoomed in.

A few things used to annoy me like the bevel tool, lol but i got plugins to fix all that.

I think its a pretty solid package for what it offers. Oh and i just remembered, no autosave, yea i got a script that can do it, but i shouldnt have to.

And... Should Maya crash, it doesnt restore the temp file, so you dont get a version just before you crashed you have to start from the saved scene again. Max 5 used to do it, why doesnt maya arghhhhhh .

other than that pretty solid i say .
    site

insert witty comment here

One thing that irritates me in Maya 6 is that you have to click the viewport after you manually inport something in the channel box. In Maya 5 you could hit the return key and the focus would jump back to the viewport, but in Maya 6 Alias decided to magicly get rid of that. Dunno why because it's a pain to to always click after editing something.
    Technical Artist at LuGus Studios
    www.lugus-studios.be

nielsVaes.be

Originally posted by neelz
    One thing that irritates me in Maya 6 is that you have to click the viewport after you manually inport something in the channel box...
    That was the biggest disappointment for me in v.6. In version 5, Enter on the numeric keypad would confirm an entry field and Enter on the keyboard would confirm and focus on a last active viewport, thus eliminating the problem with the lack of the undo hotkey outside the view port. In version 5 I thought that they probably have not had the time to finish this smart feature for the rest of the program and was hoping in v.6, I will see this implemented also in the Attribute Editor which would have stop my whining about the lack of undo hotkey there, but what a disappointment when I upgraded to 6 and discovered that instead of having this smart concept throughout the whole program, they actually removed it from the channel box which was the only place to have it. This is a big step backwards and doesn’t fit with the excellent and exiting features introduced in v.6

The fastest way to assign a material is the rendering shelf. Just click on a material with your selected objects.

For me the most frustrating part is skin weighting. Somehow weight normalization has to be limited by an adjustable number of parent joints.
    So that a finger joint can't influence the jaw joint 4 example.

Modelling blendshapes is a pain in the ass too without a good soft-selection feature a la max/LW/XSI. The soft-mod tool is not very intuitive and it doesn't work on UVs.

Also blendshape mirroring should come as a standart in maya. As well as a good setdriven key mirror feature and influence object mirror.

And while we're at it why not integrate Motionbuilder directly into maya?

The fastest way to assign a material is the rendering shelf. ...
    Yes, the Rendering shelf. Thank you for bringing this up. If Maya can build a shelf automatically for the used materials would be just perfect.
    And while we're at it why not integrate Motionbuilder directly into maya?
    I know it sounds too good to believe but I think it is possible if they want to do it.

Again i would proably say the render gets anoyin alot of the time. plus coming from a lightwave background some of the polymodeling tools seem a little overly complicated

Dave

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast