Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Hmm. *has now played with Painter briefly*

It seems like a program you really have to get to know, like how all the mediums interact and all. Still, I guess that's true of most software. It seems like art students who had used gouache and impasto and whatnot in real life might be more comfortable with it than someone like myself (never touched anything fancier than mechanical pencils).

I do see how it can achieve effects that Photoshop couldn't easily, but it's not as . . . precise. Like with Photoshop you have masks and shape layers and color adjustment--and definitely layer effects. I'd miss these things terribly. Then again, maybe I am just missing the Painter version of these tools?

Vape

Edit: *has just found the spline tool* Hehe, spoke to soon.
    Edit2: I do like that perspective grid tool. That's very nice. Now I see why you keep doing streets, Swoop.
    Last edited by Vape; 01-18-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Actually i never used the perspective grid. And you have basically all the effects of photoshop also. The layer effects are basically the same place as in photoshop.. layers palette.
    The mask ect is just a fancy way of selection stuff.. also available... and of course color-adjust ect is available through the menus as well.

IF you need a brief walkthrough of the brushes (or some common ones) you can grab my brushes tutorial from my webpage.. goes through some common brushes and how i use them ...
    Swoop - Buzzed Pirate!
    " If nobodys talking to me, im talking to me" - Swoop

Reflection Design || Swoops Blog

2D Tutorials Compilation

The Speed Painting Thread || ((post your Concept Art thread))

Hi Vape

To add to what Swoop said, you don't have to use Painter if it doesn't suit you, it's just another tool in the toolbox. I use whatever it takes to do the job, Pshop, illustrator, chalk, paint and pencils mostly. It's the end result that matters.
    Dog eggs

Exactly ... i bet if i wanted to switching to photoshop instead wouldnt be a problem at all... most of the brushes i use can easily be replicated ...

Painter is just another tool like paul said... it's the technique in painting that matters really
    Swoop - Buzzed Pirate!

2D Tutorials Compilation

So come on Vape, show us some more work. Please?
    Last edited by paul; 01-19-2005 at 01:23 PM.
    Dog eggs

Well, I can see why many people use it for backgrounds and stuff. You can turn out stuff that really has a painted feel and texture. But yeah, you're right, once you know a program well enough, you can make it do pretty much anything you want. Some things are just easier in some programs. Smooth gradients in MS Paint, for example--time consuming!! Just kidding, I never actually tried this.

Originally posted by paul
    So come on Vape, show us some more work. Please?
    Lol! Aww, alright. But unfortunately, it isn't speedpainting, because it's taken last night and this morning to do.

I was trying to make smoke yesterday--you know, the swirlly, ribbony kind that's so neat to just watch. (I burn a lot of candles. )

This pic is entirely shape layers and layer effects. I love layer effects! Oh, there is one layer mask on the smoke that is painted and therefore not a shape layer.

http://home.earthlink.net/~vape/gall...ndlesmoke.html

Whew . . . now . . . what to do next. . . .

Vape

Edit: It might be a bit gamma sensitive. It's supposed to be dark, but since my moniter runs a little dark, it might show up too light.

Eh, the chairs aren't the best either. If I weren't feeling lazy, I'd tweak them.
    Last edited by Vape; 01-19-2005 at 04:31 PM.

I think the biggest problem there is the perspective is off on alot of areas. Mostly visible in the angles of the plates.. they dont really align well...
    Also the chairs.. but somehow despite not being correct, it gives me some kinda eerie feeling. Surreal room feeling. I like that.
    Also the candle burning is a bit bright, and lens flary. Obscuring the flame too much i think. But the smoke is nice, although a little limited and strong... but good "motion" on it, but like i said too strong and confined to a small space...
    Swoop - Buzzed Pirate!

2D Tutorials Compilation

Quite good I think. I zoned out into daydreams for 10 minutes after looking at it. That's a good thing, right?

Very good points, Swoop. Alas, perspective was never my strong point. Yeah, I'll have to try tweaking the smoke and light when I get back the desire to work on it again. I thought I was done with it, you meany. Haha, no, it's good criticism. Thanks!

Originally posted by iamdt
    Quite good I think. I zoned out into daydreams for 10 minutes after looking at it. That's a good thing, right?
    Um, I hope so.

Vape

Vape, that has a really nice illustration feel to it, the colourway is strong too. For me the perspective shifts don't get in the way because it's suggestive rather than realistic, take a peek at Fra Angelico for the wow factor.
    Great mood as iamdt said.
    Thanks for showing it. Keep 'em coming.
    Dog eggs

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast