Glow around logo!

Hi, another noob (or maybe not so noob question!)

Is there any way to create a 'gradient glow' effect. I'm trying to create my logo in maya so I can animate it - but I'm pretty new to maya (esp with the special effects dept!)

The logo looksas follows:

The black is sorta like a gradient going from black on the edges of the white and grey logo - turning to no colour as you go further away.

Any ideas? any help would be greatly appreicated!
    Last edited by infiltrator; 06-21-2004 at 12:33 PM.
    infy!

-----------------------
    www.infiltron.com

You could certainly look at shader glow to achieve this effect....

That said it would likely be far more effective, and controlable to do this in post.

MUTTOAB
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

hy
    for making the gradient you should use a ramp node. Then make it a map for the incandescence attribute, or something like that..

Thanx for the replies - are there any tutorials on how to do this? Is it easy enough to explain to me? or is it a long-winded thing?
    infy!

-----------------------
    www.infiltron.com

Wow i can actually help someone on a maya question [shocked look]

ok anyways- try a shader glow or a ramp node for the gradient (as i see someone already said that...)

it's not that hard...you could try searching for a tutorial if you dont understand...but its not that hard...

Addis

Lol, yeah - I still need to reach that point where I can actually help someone else too... I have found a few tutorials on the RAMP shader - it sounds pretty easy - I'l just use back and white and this should work. Obviously if my background is different I'll need to change the colour again

Thanx for the help!
    infy!

-----------------------
    www.infiltron.com

Depending on what kind of animation the logo will be doing, it might be easier to put the glow in after using a compositing package.

Although you might be able to draw a curve around the logo ( or keep any curves used to make the logo) and attach a paint Effect to it of some kind. I know there are a few Glow Paint Effects available in Maya. That might be another road to try.