Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some Rendering questinos...

Was thinking of making individual posts, but one shoud do!

Fristly, What exactly is Mental Ray? How does it work. I noticed it is faster than software, but I'm not using details so I would imagine that software is THE better option, but is much slower. Software seems more better also, because you can always just add code to effect rendering. I understand that - but exactly how does the Mental Ray work?

Secondly, how do I get Hardware rendering to work? I can get Software and Mental ray to work, but just get a blank screen on Hardware rendering?

Thanx in advance!
    infy!

-----------------------
    www.infiltron.com

Hello there. I'm relatively new to Maya and any other 3D but, I have found a very useful site that answeres your first question quite nicely.

Mental Ray

As for the second question, I would think that you would have to have a video card that supports it. You can find a list of all video cards that work and don't work with hardware rendering with Maya on Alias' website.

Maya 6 Supported Video Cards

Maya 5 Supported Video Cards

Hope this shines some light on the situation.
    -X-

Well the above link tells you what mental ray is, more precisely than I ever could. If you want a short version, then it is a separate renderer included with Maya because of the severe limitations in the default Maya software renderer. It seems like some guys experience serious health problems if they can't render with GI, final gathering, and other stuff like that, that takes hours to render.

Btw. Mental Ray is a software renderer. The only difference is in its features. It has some extra stuff mainly with lighting in your scene. On the other hand it's not 100% compatible with Maya. For instance fur and paint effects cannot be rendered by mental ray.

About hardware rendering, it depends what you want to render. Hardware rendering also doesn't work with everything. So software particles, fur, paint effects cannot be rendered with the hardware renderer.
    But generarly it is a good idea to update your video card drivers.

What video card are you useing?

Originally posted by shade712
    ...because of the severe limitations in the default Maya software renderer. I
    Maya renderer is fully competant and quite stable, alot of stuiods use it instead of MR simple because its felxible and fast. Maya doesnt have any Gi features for the default render but studios dont really use that anyways.

If your going for stils, Mental Ray is brillinat for that as you can spend a long time rendering just for one frame, so you can have GI, Caustics, HDRI lighting etc.

When i make stills i use MR sometimes just to test it, really good results without alot of time setting it up. But i still prefer the default

Im not against MR i think it brilliant, just not for what i want to , i can get GI, and refractive/reflective still or moving caustics in a fraction of time that MR has to calculate. Im all about getting everything to render faster , i have to really push myself just to use raytracing when it comes to transparency and shadows, i even try to fake that hehe . But the advanctage of going to great lengths to shorten render times, is you learn more about the software, and you are a good lighter and renderer, not just playing with one or two nodes that gets you great effects, but take long to render.
    site

insert witty comment here

Originally posted by phrenzy84

Im not against MR i think it brilliant, just not for what i want to , i can get GI, and refractive/reflective still or moving caustics in a fraction of time that MR has to calculate. Im all about getting everything to render faster , i have to really push myself just to use raytracing when it comes to transparency and shadows, i even try to fake that hehe . But the advanctage of going to great lengths to shorten render times, is you learn more about the software, and you are a good lighter and renderer, not just playing with one or two nodes that gets you great effects, but take long to render.

A voice of reason in a world gone "GI crazy"!!!

MUTTOAB
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Thanx for the explanations of Mental Ray!

My Graphics Card is a Sapphire 9800XT - I'll look at the compatibility thing now too, but I'm just using polygons for now with a simple area light. I'm pretty noob and still learning on a friends PC! I really like Maya, and because the Unreal version has no rendering, probably will get Maya 6 (dunno if I have to be in a university to qualify for the edu version since it's pretty steep for me at the mo!)

EDIT: It seems v5 is a bit old, although I would imagine the card should work fine since it should support Hardware layering or whatever it is called. Anyone else with a 9800XT that got this to work?
    Last edited by infiltrator; 06-11-2004 at 02:15 PM.
    infy!

-----------------------
    www.infiltron.com

The main problem for production quality animation with the Maya renderer is the lack of shadow motion blur.

muttoab ask anyone in the 3D industry what Gi is two years ago, some might have know lol, today, evenmy dog knows what it is hehe.

Emil3D: yeah, but it can still be done i think, manually of course. You knwo you can have attenuated shadows with raytracing, ive found a few tutorials on how to do it with Dmap shadows, and the way its setup it would be hard to simulate motion blur shadows, but really its no that much of a problem, you lower the opacity a touch and fiter the dmap its self. but i guess i would have to try it out before i could say that there no problem with doing it that way.
    site

insert witty comment here

I should have added in my statement that this was not my opinion but something I hear from different people who claimed to be working in big studios. I personally don’t have much trouble with this so far, my workaround is to render only the shadows in MR and compose them in After Effects

Originally posted by infiltrator
    My Graphics Card is a Sapphire 9800XT [/B]
    It shouldn't have any problems with hardware rendering.
    I have a 9600PRO and it works.

@phrenzy84: Yeah, I also agree that those features should only be used for stills until they're as slow as that. However MR has light baking which also can decrease render times.
    Having that said I also have to say that I don't use MR, just answered the question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast