Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What is a good Size for Ons?

I want to make an Ons map but I am not sure what a good size I should make the starting square? Like what do you think a nice big map of would be?

I tryed to look at the maps from ut2004 but I could not find the option to display how big that square is? were would I look?

Try to open a map that is about the size of what you want and go from there.

My current map that im working on is 16,000x16,000
    BigOrSmallKillThemAll

Well ya thats what I did but I could not find out what the actual size of it was.

Just build take a brush and build it till it fits the size of the level.

Edit-Red planet is 70,000(Length) x 90,000(Wide) some where around that. Not sure on the height
    Last edited by Head Hunter; 05-28-2004 at 04:11 PM.
    BigOrSmallKillThemAll

Does anyone know away just to look that in the props up or something like that?

And I am not sure what you mean by 70,000x90,000 since a cube has height,width,breath so I am not sure what the breath would be then since I am guess those are high by width?

70,000x90,000 means width and breadth. The height would depend on how much your level needs. To be honest, there is no real good size for ONS maps. It simply depends on what you are planning on doing with it. If you want to be able to fly around a lot you will need more space. If you don't want vehicles at all, you would want something much, much smaller. Like Dynamit said, you can always scale your subtraction later if it is not large enough or too large.

Cool. Ok so I really do not know what to do. I thought I could figure out what to do with the stuff I learned in Terrian Editing of Level Design101 but I am finding it very hard to do.

I made a map 80,000x80,0000x80,0000 just for know and worry about that size later.

Then I put in the zone actor. I also gave the cube a texture. Then I went to the terrian thing and made a new terrian info.

So after that I went to the layers section and put a new layer in with the texture but the thing is the layer is not even as big as the map thing and it is floating in mid air. So I am like total lost here and not sure what to do.

I wish they made a vtm on how to make ons maps because I am total lost here.

You need to find the terraininfo actor, open it's properties and scale it to fit the subtraction you made. Under terraininfo there is a terrainscale property. It has x,y,z. Z is height. You can also move the terraininfo actor like any other actor. Just place it where you want it. After scaling, you may need to change the scale of the layer you made as well. this can be done in the terraininfo proerties under layers-># of layer-> u scale and v scale. Any other info need, just ask.

Ok I will try that(If not I will be back) but is there a place I can request buzz for what he should do for a next vtm. Since I think it would be cool if he made a vtm for ons and assault since there new and there are quite a few triggers and stuff.

I use the following measureing technique all the time. It's very helpful.

1. Open up a level you like

2. In the top view zoom out so you can see the entire map, Place your cursor on the edge of the map, and hold down the 'shift' key and your middle mouse button. You should see a black rectangular box pop up.

3. Drag toward the other end of the map. You should see a red line trailing from the place your first clicked, and numbers displayed in the black box. The number are UU's or Unreal Units.

4. Once you get to the other side of the map, make a note of the UUs in the black box, and repeat the process perpendicular to where you just measured.

For the purpose of just getting general maps size, don't worry about super exact measurement, if you are within 500 (more if the map is HUGE) UUs you should be just fine.

You can also Measure the height in the side view if you want.

Then once you've got these measurement, just use them when you create your main BSP cube.

If you zoom way out there are two lines in the side view of the editor. One is red, and the other blue. The Red one (I think, the higher one anyway) is the cut off height for how far up a raptor can fly, and blue line is an auto kill line, so if your players go below this line they die.

I hope this helps.

G.D.

Edit:
    Here is a quote from architectonic's tutorial on setting Terrain size.

architectonic

By default, XSize and YSize are set at 256. Additionally, the default scaling for our terrain is 64. If we created our terrain with an XSize and YSize of 256, it would reach far past the boundaries of our subtracted cube into the void. This won't necessarily harm your level, but if you build other parts of the level not on the terrain, it could simply get in the way.

In order to determine what size you should set XSize and YSize, divide the size of the room by the default scaling of 64. For instance, if we had a room that was 32000 x 32000 x 32000, we would divide 32000 by the default scaling of 64: 32000 / 64 = 500. Therefore, we'd set XSize and YSize at 500. For our purposes, our room is 4096, so 4096 / 64 = 64.
    End Edit
    Last edited by general_disaray; 05-28-2004 at 08:01 PM.
    Happy to be in the Maya Fundementals Class. Worth the wait, the effort, and more than worth the money. I've done a lot of VTMs; here and outside of 3dBuzz. I can say without a doubt that these VTMs are the best that I've seen. Great Job Guys, and Thank You!

Click here to check out DomeGI. Global Illumination for Maya made easy

A MOD Team I am on.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast