Transfering a Domain Name Away From Register.com

Hello,

My domain name is going to expire in October so I want to transfer it to some other registrar that doesn't cost $35 a year. I'm considering Ev1 Servers, or GoDaddy, but would like to hear other people's suggestions.

ADDED: Forgot to add: I'm also considering Namecheap.com.
    Last edited by Something; 05-28-2004 at 02:49 PM.
    Put the stuff in the stuff n stuff.
    I drive the "There's a radio in my fingernail...CAR!"
    What page of The List are you on?
    I have been confuzzled!
    There is something there! Yes, but we don't know what that something is.
    Oooh! Look at my pretty desktop. I dont' care what you think, I think it's pretty.
    I want Zak's hat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    <Something> Darn it captain! I'm a Maya user, not a doctor.
    I eat at Taco McBurger in the Box!
    Cardboard Box Transforme Time!

I just registered one with GoDaddy earlier this year. It's my first and only experience with registrars, but it only cost about $10 a year (with whois lookup security -- about $8 without it).

Hi all, first time poster

Anyway, I work for a web company, and we often register domains, and we always use Godaddy. Their prices are good, and you have total control over the domain name, whereas some companies charge / prevent you changing the dns / information for your name, you can do it all yourself through a login control panel on godaddy.

Ilera

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he doesnt exist."

I rent several dedicated servers from ev1servers.net, and they're pretty good in that respect. I've never bought a domain name through them though.

I have about 30 or so domain names with GoDaddy though. I, and many of my clients, have been using them for 5 years or more, and we've never had a single problem with them between us.

You can't beat GoDaddy's prices, and their service is great.
    John
    --

I have a few domains with Godaddy and I am presently transferring one now, but I was a little late.

You can only transfer 60 days after purchase and 10 days before expiration . . . for one I have to wait 60 days . .

They also give you the remaining time that you have already paid for + an additional year. All at $7.95 a year.

Also . . .

Their customer service answered on the first ring and were very pleasant . . . They say 24/7 ???

I just skimmed through this thread, so I might have missed it, but nobody seemed to actually say what to do.

Most registrars will have a Domain Transfer option. They will charge you for a year's rental. When you do this, they will transfer the domain to themselves, and extend your domain's life by one year.

BTW. I use Dotster, and I'm extremely happy with the service I get from them. You have total control over your domains, and if you do web hosting or outsource a lot of domains, they have a reseller solution where you can brand their site to look exactly like your own. Brilliant.

Juan