Question Beginner questions - help a Flash newbie?

Flash is the defacto web format for online multimedia content - or so I've heard . However, I have a few quick questions about flash that I would greatly appreciate answers for (will try to keep questions short).

1) My understanding is that flash format is vector-based and that this is what makes for small filesize. Is this true?

2) Can a video file (AVI for example) be converted to flash format? If so, how does it handle the conversion of raster graphics to vector?

3) The flash format is .SWF?

4) The Flash Player - is it available for multiple platforms (Win, MAC, etc.)? Found this answer to this one just prioer to posting, YES it is available for multiple platforms.

5) Is the Flash Player available as an EXE install (or equivalent on Non-windows machines)? Also, it doesn't appear in Add/Remove programs under Windows.

6) To view a flash file, does it need to be embedded within a HTML file? Can a flash file be converted to a stand-alone file (player bundled with file)?

These answers weren't available on the Macromedia website - or I wasn't able to find them.

Thanks a bunch!

Ryan

1: True.

2: You can import video into youre flash file, but that makes the file size huge if u have lots of video. But u cant convert video to vectors i flash. I think Flix is a app for that.

3: The .swf format is a published flash format.
    The .fla is the file format u are workin with.

4:

5:Yes it is. No u can find it in the plugin folder for youre browser.

6:U do not need to embedd the flash file within a HTML file.
    U can just put it on yore server and it will appear in the browser. But then u cant adjust its position! But im not sure what u mean when u say player bundled with the flash file. Why whould u need that? Most people have the flash player instaled in there browser so even if u dont have it in a html document, they can still see it.

Thanks for the answers!

With respect to my questions:

3) .FLA would be the Macromedia Flash "project" format; whereas, another Flash creation tool (Swish for example) would use it's own "project" format? However, in the end they all produce a .SWF output?

6) I realize that a .SWF file is an external file referenced into the webpage (much like an image is referenced using the IMG tag). Let's suppose I have a .SWF file that I would like to view. I realize that I could reference it into an HTML file and then open the HTML file in my browser and view the file there. However, is there any way I could view it without doing this? Like how I could view an AVI file by starting up Media Player.

With respect to "bundling" - lets suppose I have a video (home movie for example) but I don't want to put it up on a webpage. Could I make this into a .SWF file and create a .EXE containing the player and the video file in one package. That way I could email someone and say "double-click the .EXE file to watch the video".

3. Yes

6: No

The bundling:
    In the publish prefrences you just choose publish as .exe
    Then u publish a standalone file, the player and the .swf in one file!

2) Depanding on which version of the Macromedia Flash you use, you either need to embed the video file in a swf file or you can use the Flash video exporter to generate a FLV file which can be link externally (Flash MX 2004). I never got FLV to work through external link with Flash MX so it could be only for Flash MX 2004. You can read more about video in Flash at http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/flash/video.html

6) If you have the Flash player installed, you should be able to just double-click the swf file to play it.

The bundling:
    Make sure you select Windows Projector (.exe) in your Publish Settings before you publish your Flash output.

Another way is to:
    - just publish the Flash file
    - open the resulting swf file by double-click on it
    - in the Flash player choose File->Create Projector...
    - Type a name for the new (.exe) file

Thanks for answering my questions

I've got my head around this flash stuff now.

-Ryan

Re: Beginner questions - help a Flash newbie?

Originally posted by rsmall
    Flash is the defacto web format for online multimedia content - or so I've heard . However, I have a few quick questions about flash that I would greatly appreciate answers for (will try to keep questions short).

1) My understanding is that flash format is vector-based and that this is what makes for small filesize. Is this true?

2) Can a video file (AVI for example) be converted to flash format? If so, how does it handle the conversion of raster graphics to vector?

3) The flash format is .SWF?

4) The Flash Player - is it available for multiple platforms (Win, MAC, etc.)? Found this answer to this one just prioer to posting, YES it is available for multiple platforms.

5) Is the Flash Player available as an EXE install (or equivalent on Non-windows machines)? Also, it doesn't appear in Add/Remove programs under Windows.

6) To view a flash file, does it need to be embedded within a HTML file? Can a flash file be converted to a stand-alone file (player bundled with file)?

These answers weren't available on the Macromedia website - or I wasn't able to find them.

Thanks a bunch!

Ryan
    You can import a avi file>
    File>Import

i did it to but i will take a lots of kb's

are u ok with those anwsers or still need more?
    There is nothing real like 3d !

But hm hm hm hm, how will 4d be like?