Problem with Boolean 'Difference' on Polygons.

Pic Explaining problem!

I have a problem with polygons - I can't seem to get the result I want to. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong (I am a bit of a noob still!) I'm trying to use the Polygon / Boolean / Difference tool to chissel out the contents of the small rectangle from the 'boolean-added' cube/cylinder shape - but do not get the desired effect. (see pic!)

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Both align properly and I am using snap to grid - aka 'x' button when placing/aligning polygons!
    infy!

-----------------------
    www.infiltron.com

try to change the cap topology of your cylinder.
    increase the cap segments or
    make it a quad grid for example and retry.

BTW, why don't you model your desired shape?

I will try what you mentioned. I don't want to spend hours modeling something like this myself when it could be possible with built in tools. To try and model a sphere myself will take ages to get it exact and then to chisel something out will take even longer. If I have to I will do this - but this is just a simple case of my problem. I am having this with quite a few polygons. especially complex ones. Sometimes it works and sometimes not - I'm not sure if there is a catch to it?
    infy!

-----------------------
    www.infiltron.com

try Edit>Delete by type> History

Then do step 3.

Thanx for the reply SharkyBlue, I tried that and it does not seem to help I've selected everything in the scene and tried the delete by type history and still no go
    infy!

-----------------------
    www.infiltron.com

I would suggest staying away from doing this with a boolean. You can model this quite simply. I'm assuming you want to get something like this attached picture?

If so, just use a primative cylinder. Delete the faces on the back half that you want to be square. Use "Edit Polygons > Fill Hole" to get a flat piece on the back, then extrude that face. Next create a dummy object like you have on the front of the cylinder to boolean out. Using the edges of this object you can make cuts in your cylinder to re-form your shape how you want it. This is not something that is overly complicated. All you have to do is push and pull a few verticies to match the square shape of your dummy object and you will get your boolean.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polything.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	26538  
    Last edited by DezFX; 05-05-2004 at 09:15 AM.
    Dez
    Pipeline Technical Director
    Legend 3D | VFX

Cool - I will do it this way was just wondering why it works one way - but not the other is it a bug, or is it something I am doing I'll so it manually Cheers for that!
    infy!

-----------------------
    www.infiltron.com

URGGHHH Booleans

yo dude reading your thread, when i first started using booleans i experienced the same problem, and the other guy is right try making your geomtry where the objects intercept much simpler so it takes less for the boolean operation to calculate.

but i totaly agree with the other guy about just modelling the desired shape with out it. it might take a bit more time, but you'll get less hassle and a much cleaner model and probably a better look then what the boolean tool will give u. Boolean is for lazy people lol. oh yeah plus its unstable and may cause your machine to crash!