Thread: PCI video cards

PCI video cards

My friend recently gave me his old Dell but all it has is mobo and case. I want to get a new proc RAM and a pci video card but I dont know what one to get. Are there any PCI cards that I could use to run mostly XSI and some Maya on?

A motherboard that doesn't have AGP on it must either be pretty old or of the "corner cutting" variety. It might be worth considering a new MB as well as processor and ram. That means that pretty much all you get from the old dell is the case, power supply (check to see you've got plenty of juice), keyboard and mouse.
    Chuck
    Digital Spectra
    (rendering with pixels)

You would be pretty hard pressed to find a PCI video card that can smoothly run 3D apps. You can run them... just not smoothly. I would higly take a look at just getting a new rig (mainboard, processor and memory) and get a decent budget card. Something along the lines of a GeForce FX series card.

Another thing to think about is the fact that dell uses proprietary power supplies in their machines. The connector on the power supply is a slightly different shape than a standard molex. Just something to be aware of.

i hate dell. ive decided to get a whole new comp as you can see in some of my other threads.

In a while pci video cards will be the latest and greatest again. With PCI Express that is.

Well then they wouldn't be called PCI cards... they would be called PCI Express cards...

They can call it whatever they want with 4 gb per second to and from the video card

You could get a 128mb pci video card for it... but if you're buying a processor and everything else, what's another $100 for a motherboard? I have been stuck with using pci video until recently. Built my first system recently and I am glad to have use of agp finally. Go to Newegg.com and check the prices. I got a decent d865perl intel board for $80.
    The odds of hitting your target increase significantly when you aim at it.
    Check out my iOS games released in the App Store!
    Tricky Treasure Fall
    Tap 'n' Scrap
    UFO Escape From Earth