Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoothing

Smoothing

say i have a modelled and i smoothed it
    then i work a bit more and delete the construction history

how would i unsmooth my model again to i can go back to working with less detail?

Unless you haven't saved yet, there's no going back, i'm sorry

you could try using Reduce but it may distort your mesh.

But yeah, like Nem said unless you have a previously saved version you can't go back.

Rule number one save often and increment file names.

we all learn the hard way. Its good practice and saves alot of heart ache in the long run.

hmm i see
    dnt you guys think this is a big downfall of maya? i woulda thought this is one of the most important things to implment
    i mean max has nurms, xsi has geometry approximation, houdini has that flag thing (cnt member what its called atm) and they all allow you to turn smoothing on and off no matter what which is really helpful

I'm not sure about XSI or Houdini, but think of it as if you had applied meshsmooth in Max then collapsed the stack...you couldn't go back either.

You should only delete your history when you're happy with the results and are positive you don't need to go back to a previous state. Or again save in increments like H3llbound said.

I would just stick to using smooth proxy on a cube so that i can see both the smooth version as I work on the simple poly cage.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.
    www.verafx.net
    IF YOU MESS WITH BUZZ YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US!

You can do it manually if you have time (or if you are crazy... just kidding).
    To do it manually you can use a script that is called Rage Merge Faces or something. It is a LW functionality. Basically you just select the faces you want to merge and use the script... X polygons will become 1 polygon. It can be done quite fast when you map it on a keyboard shortcut and if you are used to it.

You can also try to delete edges...

Wait I will see where I have downloaded the script...
    Hmm I don't have the direct link anymore, but I found it at Highend 3D.
    http://www.highend3d.com/maya/mel/?g...ction=modeling

Like they mentioned above it is smart to save into a new file name often.The other day i deleted my blendshapes by deleting my history and i didnt save it so i lost those blendshapes

Ezra has the right idea. Use the smooth proxy function so that you can see the smooth form while still working on the rough form. Even if you delete history on the rough form, it will still update on the smooth form.

The reason that it isn't "built in" is that the smooth function is an input channel, and is deleted with the other history. Personally, I got into the habit of either always setting my smooth to 0 or applying a smooth, looking at the model, then undoing until the smooth goes away, then delete history.

Have a question about Maya or Web Dev? I'll try my best to give you a hand. PM for my email, or reach me on Skype or AIM as Johnska7.

Did this post help you at all? Please feel free add to my reputation . Positive Feedback makes me happy!

Tutorial Writer | Adjunct Professor of Advanced 3d Modeling and Animation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast