Question Film license and mods

will it be ok to make a total conversion for ut2k4 based off a film?
    im not too sure on what all the legalities are concerning the license, copyright etc...so can anybody shed some light on the issue.

thanks

carl

The basic idea is that unless you do have the license and permission (which can be very expensive), you risk having your mod being shut down.

The lowdown is that basing a mod off a movie/series/comic/anything or even using music/images/characters from one without permission, wether you are making money from it or not, is illegal as it goes against the copyright law. The difference is that some companies care, some don't. Lucasfilm, for example, is usually very forgiving on people doing mods with the star wars license unless it conflicts directly against one of their products (IIRC they killed a quake 2 star wars mod very shortly before releasing Jedi Knight), while (to put another example) Fox is rather strict with their licenses and will most likely send a cease and desist to anyone trying to do something with one (the most famous ones was when some people were making an X-men based mod for Quake and they made them either go commercial with it and paying for the license, or shutting it down completely, they did the first one), and last I heard DC Comics was downright hostile against people using their franchises (to the point where the wizard magazine stopped receiving and printing fanart using DC Comics characters for a while).

If you do plan on doing anything with material from a film, best bet is to try to contact the company that owns the license and ask for permission first, who knows, you might get lucky.
    "If you put together all the work I did on "Shrek", I would say I have spent more time promoting it in the last three days than I did actually working on it... When you compare that to the amount of work that the animators and producers put into it, I’m embarrassed to get all the attention and praise for it." - JOHN LITHGOW
    Visit my webpage

You MIGHT be able to do one if its only done as a Parody

parodies are legal by law, but you would have to make it clear it was, by making jokes and humor about it

For the most part your better off avoiding such possibilities. The movie studios have far more money than you and the artists behind whatever film tend to be fiercely protective of their visions. Ofcourse there are notable exceptions such as the Star Trek franchise which has been generally "OK" with peoples work derived from their "universe". But then Lucas Arts used to shut down anything that even remotely smelled of Star Wars, yet they allowed a UT2K3 mod based on the franchise. You never know, but I think you should have something to show the people you are asking for permission before you ask them. That you leaves you in the unenviable position of putting lots of work into something that may never legally be able to see the light of day.
    -HN

thanks for the info guys, the film i was thinking about was battle royale, but i don't think i'll bother now

thanks again