Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First DM-Map

My First DM-Map

ok here's a alpha version of my map its far from done yet. It needs more emitters the waterfall needs to be improved i want to expand some parts with bridges and some more rooms. Also i want some more strategic placement of the weapons and the ion cannon is going to get removed (just added it for fun). Also the teleporter emitters are straight from Inferno and are only there to act as a marker for my teleporter they'll be changed in the near future. It's still a alpha and hasn't got a name it originally was a map for me to test terrain but things got a lil bit out of hand and this is the result.

There are a few things i'm having problems with:

- Projector projects its shadow on invissible terrain
    - Waterfall isn't realistic and i dont know how to improve it
    - I dont know where to add my next walkway in the terrain and where it should lead to
    -I cant get the emitter from the tunnel to emitt the particles in the right way
    - The walkpannels in the dark corridor are crappy and i cant find a sollution for them only one is that i should use textures instead of smeshes
    - I cant get the Zones right i tried to align them exactly but it still had a HoM effect in it.

Things that have to be improved:

- I want to improve the architecture and make the level look a lil bit more real
    - I'm currently brainstorming about where to expand my level to
    -The name i cant think of a nice name
    - I want to put standards above the emitter so it looks like they are somekind of generators that create the teleportal.

im cant think of anything else at the moment please be nice its my first level and its far from done yet its at 50% or something like that.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Nice!

Hi, i just played your map (and lost ). It is certainly a good effort, much better than anything i have created. At first i didnt like it much since i was just running down corridoors made up easily from static meshes, But i liked it a lot more when i ran outside and found myself near a waterfall with the night sky above me.

Couple of things you could do to develop this map a little.

1. Some of the indoors areas need more light as they are pitch black, and 2. I noticed sometimes when i fell of some of the ledges that they were slightly glitchy underneath.

I give it 3 out of 5.

well i made them of static meshes because that way i have more detail without losing much of the performance. There's only one corridor thats pitch black as far as i remember and thats the one with the bad smesh alignment. Also can you please tell me where those glitches are i cant find them .

Anyway tnx for your crits they are quit usefull, because now i know that i should be following more vtms and lessons. Also i dont think indoor levels are really my thing and besides i like outdoor levels better anyway.

Any screenshots??

The level itself is visually impressive. The glitch i noticed is when you are accidently able to view the back of polygons(which of course are not drawn on both sides), so it enables me to see through part of the geometry. The geometry in question is beneath some of the floor where you can drop down at the side.

Your idea is dumb!

@njl - YEP

ok mm is it possible that you send me a screen of the problem? Anyway here are some screens:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DrProctor; 03-23-2004 at 03:12 PM.

I think your map is great (I would be glad if i could do that). But I found some things that could be improved.

1) The Elevator: The corridor of the elevator should be smaller because the first time i went up i tried to get of it backwards and fell down.

2) I can't go over one transition between a corridor and a room. I add the picture of it so you can see it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yourmap.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	24058  

you cant uuuhhhh thats weird i can :S ah well i'll add a bsp brush instead of that smesh it was temporary anyway tnx for the crits

o bout the elevator.... yeah i know that pointy thing is really anoying but i needed it to cover the terrain i'll figure out a way to do it right.

I really wasn't able to run over it how hard i tried. Maybe I'm just stupid

maybe you used an other character then me or something anyway its about to get changed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast