Lightbulb Tips about game design

Game design tips!

Hi, My name is Andrew Thompson and i have been working on small game projects for a couple of years now. I have recently discovered this game design forum. I have not browsed many threads yet. I thought i would share my experiences of game design problems with other people so we can try and get the best out of our development software.

What genre will your game be?

You can choose the genre you want your game to be. Obviously this will become more detailed when you think about it.

What will happen in your game?

This may sound obvious, but the best way i found to do this was to grab a pen and a notepad and basically scribble down my ideas, e.g. the plot in an RPG, or the types of races in a racing game. Take some time over it, you will often find yourself contradicting one of your earlier decisions. It is better to make the mistakes earlier.

Do things efficiently

This is a technical leap. The biggest problem with hobbyist game programmers is there code is often inefficient. Write up how you are going to do each particular thing before you attempt to code it. You will be shocked at how much this helps. I had a problem many times which caused my game to go haywire. Now after viewing the way other game engines work, i decided that often the best way to do things is to use Master/Instance, if thats what you want to call it. This is again even more technical, but it essentially means, create master versions of the entities you are going to use in your game, and you can spawn them by reference. This is useful when you have many copies of the same thing in your game, you can refer to all of them using just one class rather than a series of objects.

I hope i have been of use to some of the people here. Probably all of the oldbies who have done this kind of programming before will find this topic of little help. Positive feedback and constructive criticsm welcome.

Well to get idea's i usualy work use this great trick:

Start with white peace of paper. Start writing the word you want to brainstorm about an note every word you think off. Write down if you think about your cat, everything... After 5 min stop and make connections. So you can have very cool idea's in a very short amout of time

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    The biggest problem with hobbyist game programmers is there code is often inefficient.
    *their...

Also; apparently, Segfault disagrees...
    Last edited by fatgav; 04-11-2012 at 08:14 AM.

I found
    my current avatar on google, so props to THIS GUY who created the original...

You got me Gav. I will now kill you !

Your idea is dumb!

@njl - YEP

It only took 8 years, but he caught ya! Though should I be disturbed that he caught the " there " but didn't notice oxy's usage of " Idea's "