Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

texture issue....

can someone tell me the right way to go about texturing a VERY large static mesh in unreal. I mean lets say for the static mesh project your suppose to build BIG mechs, now how many textures can I use to build them cause I'm thinking it's gonna really look pixelated if I can only use one or two 1024x1024 textures. Maybe I'm going about it all wrong, any help would be great thanx.

texture reuse is an option... like put the UVs for the legs over the top of each other so you only need one leg texture rather than 2, etc..

Also if you have a real big smesh, you could do it with only UVW mapping instead of texture baking. Then it will not look so pixelated since it will simply repeat the texture over a surface. That would be the easiest i think.

that would work for lets say a basic metalic color or something but what if I want to create a skin for it just like you would a player model. I mean there's really alot you can do with a mech and I'd hate to have to make it a solid grey metalic look just to avoid pixelation. What is the limit on textures you can use for one mesh I mean 2.....3...? just wondering, maybe I can use a base color and then have a second texture that I use for more detailed things.??? don't know just rambling.

what program are u useing in max i can use texporter to export several 512X512 or whatever size UV maps to do seperate parts of the model by asigning material id numbers to certain groups of polys but if your not i don't know

yeah I can do that, now one question, what's the limit to how many textures you can use on a single model in unreal? PS I'm using max too.

not sure about that but here is an idea go to the static mesh browser "assuming u are make a static mesh" and import a cheapo mesh say a box or somthin and add material to see how much u can put on it

scratch that import the mesh with however many u want if it gets messed up u can't or u can make the model in segments so they get imported at the same time and have there respective textures. just a thought
    Last edited by Chavez; 03-10-2004 at 03:50 PM.
    My 3DS Max Sprite Sheet Renderer
    A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

If these are only static meshes then why not break down the big mechs into many smaller static meshes? Maybe you can then re-use some parts of one mech to create a new mech? Granted you are still using just as many textures, but if you can re-use some of the parts this will help.

If you really do need to make them out of one big static, then you should be ok using many 1024x1024 textures on one single static.

It all depends on how many textures are in view at any one time in your map, not whether they are all on one static or not. You might need to be more conservative on your texture usage for other statics thats all.

Another idea would be to use UV mapping on some sections of your mech that you can get away with and use UVW mapping on sections where you want to add detail.

As far as i know there is no real limit on the amount of textures you can use on one smesh. But im not sure about it though.

And UED supports textures to a maximum resulution of 4096 * 4096. Which is frikken huge.
    But i suppose a texture that big, will take a lot of resources. So i would go with Spam saviours advice, break the smesh up in smaller parts.

Also think about how far away your model will be viewed from. If you won't hardly ever be very close to the model, then you won't notice the texture "pixelation"

cheers, just somethin to think about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast