Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

BEFORE POSTING read this thread. Yes it involves stars

Its becoming quite the annoying trend lately so I've provided this simple how-to guide on what to do if you can't download VTM's or anything along those lines.

I offer you some suggestions to quick and easy stars:

1. Valid critiques in the 'Works in Progress' forum. It doesn't take being a masterful 3d artist to tell someone that their human head looks like a block of melting swiss cheese.

2. Posting links to other tutorials

3. Suggesting possible things to cover in future VTM's

4. Posting questions on how to use a particular application or accomplish a given task. (yes this is giving back to the community. The way this magical thing works is if you have a problem and someone can solve it. Then someone else can read that thread and find the solution as well.)

5. Writing and posting your own tutorials.

6. Helping keep the forums clean. (report bad or misplaced threads and posts for example)

7. Occasionally clicking a sponsor link.

8. Assisting people on IRC.

9. Spreading the word of the site.

10. Posting your own works in progress for critique.

11. Helping another person with a particular problem. Be it software or hardware related.

12. Post links to studies or reference image sites.

13. Post any notes you might have taken that would be pertinent to the subjects at hand.

14. Posting threads in appropriate forums. This means not posting your 30 page explanation on how to model a hand in 3dsMax in the Windows XP forum; but maybe in the 3dsMax Modelling forum.

I figure thats 13 ways right there that involve no exchange of
    currency and a minimum investment of time.

Some people inadvertantly end up with a star and never realize it. I would say that most people with them weren't trying to get them.

Hell; I'm sure if you posted this list you would probably be getting a star for it just because it should be moderately helpful.
    Also consider this;
    feeding back into the community will allow site moderators and tutorial authors to gauge the average skillset of the people on the site. What does that mean? Possibly more advanced content and less hand-holding as needed.
    Whats that mean for you?
    well it means you can start seeing some of the real power behind some of this software.

If you post a OMGZDRAMA thread you are not helping yourself. For the love of God we aren't asking for money here. We're asking for people to post questions and answers and help each other.

Posting an OMG Drama thread would result in a ban if I had any say. This stuff is free and its not hard to occasionally do one of the previously mentioned things.

"How do you make 2 objects one in max?"
    can go a pretty long way in getting you a star.

I'm sure this thread will be buried an on page 12 by the time I click submit; but I figured its worth a shot.
    Last edited by 1000101; 02-16-2004 at 03:49 PM.

That Old Russell
    AKA
    TOR

Update:

"All of the Online course material is available to everyone, even without a star, including Unreal. There's over 50 hours of content that no one needs a star to download. We just want to know that people really want to learn, and not just leech because it's free."

This is from Angela and if anyone knows whats available I'd imagine its her.

That Old Russell
    AKA
    TOR

I'm going to keep bumping this until the day I stop seeing any other star related threads on the front page besides the stickyed ones and this one.

That Old Russell
    AKA
    TOR

Please dont keep bumping, it will get just as annoying as the star threads, even so its only just been posted, you dont need to bump it now...
    Complaining is like a rocking chair, It's fun for a while but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Well the problem with making it sticky is that it gets ignored; and not bumping the thread will ussually put it on page 2 within about 10 minutes.
    Where it will also be ignored.

keeping it near the top (under the stickies) is about the only way to ensure readership.

That Old Russell
    AKA
    TOR

It doesnt ensure readership, If people arent going to read the other threads i doubt they will read this, you can lead a horse to water but... I find the star threads just annoying also but i dont think keeping on bumping this will help, you will still get questions...
    Complaining is like a rocking chair, It's fun for a while but it doesn't get you anywhere.

PhOny is it possible to change the title of a thread to like red? and make it bold?

More people would notice it I think.

where I'll refer them back here.
    also a thread where it appears to be some measure of discussion is more likely to get a hit than stickies. (alot of people assume stickies are closed)

That Old Russell
    AKA
    TOR

Originally posted by phOny
    It doesnt ensure readership, If people arent going to read the other threads i doubt they will read this, you can lead a horse to water but... I find the star threads just annoying also but i dont think keeping on bumping this will help, you will still get questions...
    Actually, I have seen alot of threads with more views that aren't stickies then threads that are. I just notice as well in alot of cases, stickies do indeed get ignored.

I agree but so do non stickies... and zero nope, sorry not possible to do that but ive added ! icon to the thread...

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast