Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suse 9.0

Suse 9.0

Anyone try this out yet I'm interested in grabing this

Plus's Minus' ??

Yeah I got it installed at our server here at home.

Just another update with the solid quality SuSE is know to offer. It has some new stuff like kernel 2.4.21 and KDE 3.1 over SuSE 8.2...

It's said that it's 2.6 ready but there's no update for it yet.

Something new I noticed is that when you have samba installed you now have something like the network neighbourhood on your kde desktop which let's you browse through all the shares on your network, pretty cool if you ask me!

Other than that I only noticed some reorderings of the kde menu again and some updates to yast2 ...

You might want to wait for 9.1 because 9.0 still lacks kernel 2.6 and kde 3.2

When you have 8.2 you can stick to it I guess, but if you have the bucks grab 9

cu legshot

p.s.: updating from 8.2 to 9.0 was no problem, you just might want to boot from cd and then update rather than choosing update from the running system

Thx man

It seems really cool, I'm going to get Suse 9.0
    "A great man is not afraid to be a criminal"

My neighbor brought it over to me to give it a try a couple of weeks ago, and I loved it. Mostly because whenever i had a problem i just gave him a call, everything ran fine. I would reccomend it, yes .

same, fav linux distro so far (and maya worked for me without any editing whatsoever).

Originally posted by Fish-MD
    same, fav linux distro so far (and maya worked for me without any editing whatsoever).
    You really didn't have to edit anything? Did you successfully do this with SuSE Professional 9.0? In SuSE 8.2 the advice was to rpm install Maya 5.0 and then replace Maya's "lib" files (libXm.so.2, libgcc_s.so1, libstdctt.so.5) with SuSE's lib files. Otherwise when you attempt to apply textures or do a render Maya spits out a "segmant fault 6" error.

What about when I want to update with Maya 5.01? On the Alias site it said something about removing the previous installation prior to installing the update. This is differant than Windows where the update just replaced files in 5.0 with the new ones for 5.01.

yep, straight maya install from the cd on a suse 9.0 rig. I didn't install any custom rh libs or anything.

Originally posted by Fish-MD
    yep, straight maya install from the cd on a suse 9.0 rig. I didn't install any custom rh libs or anything.
    Cool! Once again proving SuSE is the better distro when comparing to RedHat/Fedora.

Last edited by Dark_Knight; 03-04-2004 at 07:06 PM.

The custom libraries that usually have to be installed is compatibility libraries to allow Glibc 2.2 applications to be run in a Glibc 2.3 environment. So either A) suse 9 is using the older Glibc 2.2 libraries, or B) it already has the compatibility libraries installed.
    Cool! Once again proving SuSE is the better distro when comparing to RedHat/Fedora.
    Redhat comes with these compatibility libraries as well. The only thing that may have to be modified in newer distros is a line in the /usr/local/bin/maya file. Well, it was that way for me with Maya 4.5, I haven't used Maya 5 but I hear it comes with more of the necessary compatibility libraries to allow it to work better across distributions, so this is far from a deciding factor as to which distro is better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast