Reccomend classes for me to take

Hi,

I know I haven't been on the boards in a while. But, I am now at college, but I'm not majoring in CS. I don't plan on having a career in programming, but I would really like to have a hobby in video game programming/modding. So, I plan on taking a lot of extra classes in CS.

I go to Georgia Tech, so we have tons of CS courses to choose from. A full listing is here - https://oscar.gatech.edu/cat/ccatalog.htm#CS

I know this is a really hard question to ask, but if I want to get a good foundation of knowledge for basically all the aspects of game development, which courses should I take?

I know obvious ones would be stuff like animation and sfx and video game design. But should I go into things like AI and that kind of stuff, or is that not really necessary in order to be a good game designer.

I know I'm pretty clueless about this, but I have a great opportunity at learning a lot here, so I would really appreciate your help. Thanks!
    ~Tom

I am probably not the best person to be answering this but here is what i have been able to gather from reading. Learn C++ like the back of your hand. take a physics class so you can know how that works to do advance programming stuff. I would take some art classes for the modeling stuff. Just think it through do some reading on the internet go through sites on the internet.

here is link for you i did a search for game programming:
    .searc1h

p.s. these are just suggestions
    Last edited by percent20; 01-26-2004 at 10:55 PM.
    JapanGaku - Blog about Japan, J-Drama, and the Japanese Language
    BuddyLindsey.com - My Development Blog

Right now, I'm looking at taking these classes (btw I already have 2 years of PHYS and 3 Years of Calc worked into my schedule)

Intro to Computing - Foundations of computing with an emphasis on the design, construction, and analysis of algorithms. Laboratory-based instruction to computers and software tools.

Object Oriented Programming - Introduction to techniques and practices for implementing algorithms. Emphasis on professional software practices. Projects focus on interactive and computationally intensive programs, including large program management.

Languages and Translation - Introduces issues of machine translation including tokenizing, parsing, data representation, and run-time environments. Discusses implementation of programming languages. Laboratory exercises cover tools and techniques for writing parsers and translators.

Computer Graphics - An introduction to computer graphics, including: graphics hardware, 2D rendering, 2D and 3D transformations, visible surface determination, illumination, modeling, and ray tracing.

Video Game Design- echniques for electronic game design and programming, including graphics game engines, motion generation, behavioral control for autonomous characters, interaction structure, social and interface issues of multi-user play, and the business aspects of game development.

Computer Vision - An introduction to computer vision and machine perception. An intensive study of the process of generating a symbolic description of the scene by interpretation of images(s).

Computer Animation - Motion techniques for computer animation and interactive games (keyframing, procedural methods, motion capture, and simulation) and principles for storytelling, composition, lighting, and interactivity.

Digital Video SFX - A study of digital multimedia and the analysis and synthesis of digital video. Special attention paid to techniques for generating video special effects.

What do you guys think about this as a foundation for game development? I don't want to take anything that I don't really need, because it would really put a load on my schedule. Are there any other areas of classes that I should look into taking?
    Last edited by Cygnus_X-1; 01-26-2004 at 11:32 PM.
    ~Tom

Bump...can anyone give me an opinion on how helpful these classes would be to go into game development? Should I take less graphic-directed courses, and take a few that have to do with actual software engineering instead, or do this look cool?
    ~Tom