Question Probably stupid newbie question

Well, I studied the VTM that showed you how to setup the grid to UEd likeness with vertex snap (oh yes! it's like making a glorified BSP, more like I'm used to). It went fine.

Then it came to making my own object. I decided that I'd make a simple walkway - a cuboid with low height, and two cuboids either side with slightly raised edges. I did it one cuboid at a time, drew, applied bitmap through diffuse, collapsed all, then (in the case of the two outer edges) vertex edited. The textures showed up in max - I exported the scene, imported into Unrealed, and one of the materials is missing! It's all textured the same (I used different textures for the raised edges and the main platform).

Any ideas on why this is occuring?

Did you change the material ID's for the different groups of polys on the object?

If you mean that the central cube had material ID 1 and the edges material ID 2, then yes I think so, but that's one to check when I get back home.

Did you imported the textures you used in max into UED prior before importing the model itself. Or did you open the package where you ripped the texture from (if that's what you did). If you have the right texture packages open in the texture browser, then when you import your model the texture will be applied automaticly.

Or in max did you apply the material by using multiple slots ? Or did you apply the materail with the use of a multi-subobject. Cause a multi subobject is the way to go if you want to use multiple materials on a model.

Textures were exported from UnrealED before I built the model. I've actually managed to get it to work by applying a UVW map - is that necessary for every new texture you use? It still wasn't perfect, it looked OK in max, but when exported the scaling of the texture was screwed in UnrealED.

Yeah i think you always have to UVW map your model. Otherwise max will just apply a default mapping on it i think, and that will look messy.
    But UVW mapping is not neccecary for every material you use, but it is required for every face you have on the model. So it's is possible to just UVW map the whole bunch at one time. So if im correct if you uvw map your model with certain materials, then change material on a few faces you don't have to uvw map again.