Rendering as an Avi. file with DivX video?

I'm trying to render an animation out as a avi. file. I have the DivX Codec on my system and want to use it as my avi. encoder for the rendering save (for a smaller file size and better image quality than the Cinepak encoder). However, every time the render is finished and I try to view the movie, it refuses to play saying "this file is not supported on Window, etc.". Is there any way I can render out as an DivX-encoded avi. file? If not, is there a plugin that will allow me to save my animations as a mpeg. movie file (since I know from the LW VTMs that you can encode mpeg. files with DivX)?
    My eyes are open, yet I continue to dream....

While you should be able to render out to a divx avi, it is buggy (due to divx being a hacked up codec). Instead of rendering to avi, render out Targa frames, then combine the frames into avi using virtualdub ( http://www.virtualdub.org/ it's free).

Now if you have to stop the render or something crashes or the power goes out, you just start rendering again from the last completed frame. Rendering out to avi , you'd have to start all over again.

If you are dead set in rendering out to divx, use the divx 4 codec. But you'll have to alternate between fast motion and low motion if you change the settings. (I told you it's buggy

To make sure I wasn't forgetting something, I tried a quick render with divc 5.05 and it would not render without an error. Divx 4 worked though. I still recommend rendering out to tga frames
    Attached Files Attached Files

So I take it that there is no way to render out a animation in LW as a mpeg. movie file? (like some type of plugin that could do this?)

EDIT: I'll try out VirtualDub and see if that also works. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by ArtisticVisions; 09-21-2003 at 09:52 PM.
    My eyes are open, yet I continue to dream....

No, not MPG. Atleast I don't think so. The problem with mpg/mpg2 codecs is they cost money. Though even if you had an mpg codec I don't know if Lightwave wil see it.

If you want to encode mpg's for free, render out to tga frames and use tmpgenc, a free mpg encoder.
    http://www.tmpgenc.net/

I love free things