View Poll Results: What's the best place for UT2K3 Help ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3DBuzz

6 100.00%
  • ThreeDeeBuzz

0 0%
  • 1+2DBuzz

0 0%
  • FirstDeadsHomeBase

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Was that bad huh ? Oh well, it was downloaded 1 time, and it wasn't my mother

oops, i downloaded the map and installed but forgat all about it. Shame on me.

[rant]Ok, i took a good look a t it and i can't really say anything about gameplay, but i can give feedback on the technical layout and stuff. Prepare yourself it's going to be a long list.

Let me start with that the maps looks good (gemoetry and SM wise). You make good use of geometry and add SM nicely to make it look good.

Sorry i have to be so blunt but i thought the lighting was bad. What i mean is that it was eminating from one point mostly whitch is what i think is ugly. Lighting, IMO, makes or brakes a map. You can make a really good map suck with bad lighting, or you can make a mediocre map look great with good use of lighting.

On with the list and let me finish with the lighting and how you can improve on it, first some other issues:

- You're elevators float, i know the egyptians where fantastic designers and builders, but still i don't think they where able to make object float. So you could either make it stand on a beam that lifts it up, make some ropes that pull it up or make it slide alongside a beam. Just to make it a bit more believeble.

- Since you already did some optimizing, i suggest you take it a step further. Make the terrain you don't see anyway invisible. So the terrain underneith the piramid. If you make sure you do this already with such a small map, you will get used to it and won't forget such an importand optimization technique on large maps.

- The texture on the top level (one level lower than the Lightning gun) is very stretched. I would either tile it some more, or pick another one that looks a bit more interesting. Like a floor texture or ceiling texture for example.

- The ridges at the sides have some rims alongside them. But the rims are way to big for the ridge. So i would make those static meshes smaller.

- there are WAY to many shield pickups.

- There's a small BSP hole on the same ridge as the texture issue above. It's one one of the sides with the stairs. Don't worry to much about it. It will either go away after so many rebuilds, or you can mask it with a rim SM, which was a suggestion i already wanterd to make:

- Put a nice rim on the ledge at the top on the side of the stairs. to make it look more interesting.

Now to the thing that i think will need the most work; your lighting.

Lighting is something you'll get better at the more you use it, and some light better than others. But you could improve a whole lot on the lighting and make your map a lot more interesting and atmospheric.

First of all some of your lights are way too bright while on other parts it's way too dark. If that's the effect you're going for it's ok, but this is different.

I noticed you have one HUGE light in the center of the piramid which dominates all. You have some light with the flames, but you can't see it due too the huge light. It has a radius of 512, which is huge. It's something i would never do if i where you. Since that light dominates, all surounding object will take it's color, brightness, etc. In turn everything looks very much the same. One thing to avoid.
    This is the same reason why i try to avoid zonelighting as much as possible. It works in same cases if you put a subtle effect to it, but when you make it brighter or radiate further it quickly becoems very ugly.
    So i would delete the huge light and let small light take over. This will probably mean more torches, but i like too see sourches of where the light eminates from. I find it a huge flaw if you can't see the source. Also i like to use more lights for one source. I usaly have three of them,

- one light flare; no brightness, large radius. This will just be a nice flare effect for the light.
    - one light; small radius, high brightness. that lights the floor (wall) in a nice sharp circle.
    - one light; large radius, low brightness. This is used to light up the surounding walls so it's not pitch black.

So in the case of youre torches you might want to drop the flare thing, and just use two lights. Maybe even a projector to make the light seam to shimmer on the walls. But just use small radiuses, for the sharp circle light something like brightness : 224 and radius : 6 - 16. And the larger light something like brightness : 32 - 48 and radius : 32 - 64. Offcourse this difers per light and you might want to give one light a bigger radius than another to light everything up nicely.
    Then you probably want to spread out the torches a bit or just place more of them to light objects up nicely. Also you might want to use zonelighting to light everything up at least a bit, but remember too do it very sparingly. As in brightness something like 4 or maybe even lower. And then give the zonelights the same color as the lights that dominate the most. So if your light is yellowish/reddish because of the torches, adjust the zonelight to do the same.

Also watch if light are too bright in one place, like outside, it's night time, but the sand looks like it's being lit by 10 suns. So dim it in those places. Other areas are way to dark, look at the stairs for example, it's pitch black over there. Place some torches or light over there too light it up a bit. Or make a window to the outside so that light filters inside. You can even place a sunlight actor in your skybox (when you have one) with very low light settings, so that the map gets lit by that actor. I find the sunlight actor extremly usefull in most situations.

One more thing is to saturate your lights with a subtle color. Don't exadurate here, often a light that has a saturation of 224 and a hue of anything will look much better and interesting than a white light. White lights tend to be boring, imo.

Just keep in mind too give every light you place a proper source, it will make your lighting look better already. Watch the scaling of your lights, this goes for brightness as well as radius. Don't exedurate too much by making it too big. It will make everything look dull and boring. Rather use ten lights with small radiuses than 4 with a large radius. Most of the time the 10 lights will look much better.

Phew, i warned you it would get long, but i hope i gave enough information here so that you can make some good lighting and too improve the ma you already made. Keep in mind that this was al meant as constructive feedback and that i in no way meant to insult you or something. (Not that i think i did)

Cheers m8 and use this info to your advantage.
    [/rant]

Whoa ! I asked for comments

Thanks for the constructive critisisum (S?) I asked for good or bad, I'll work on the lighting. This map is basically my 101 leason and they wanted lighting to be comming from a known source so that's why I used the main light inside the pyramid up top then some torches to light up the darker areas. I'll play with the settings as you suggest and see how it looks.

The elevators were kindof a last min addition. I had ramps there but they blocked even more light from getting to the bottom areas, I'll work on that as well.

Too many shields ?!?!?! There can never be too many shields, I die too easy without em Ok, maybe I'll take one or two out. ::sniff,sniff::

The mother-in-law is comming for a visit this weekend so I may not have an update right away.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12