View Poll Results: What's the best place for UT2K3 Help ?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3DBuzz

6 100.00%
  • ThreeDeeBuzz

0 0%
  • 1+2DBuzz

0 0%
  • FirstDeadsHomeBase

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Setting up zones

How do I set up Zones ? I've added the Subtract Brushes and put a zone info in each one, gave them a name and tested the map. The map plays fine but, if you hollor for help "I'm all along here, in the ????". Where it tells other players where your at it just gives the map name, what settings am I missing ? I don't remember any of the VTMs telling alot about zones and I'm doing my egyptian map for assignment.

Also how do I make each zone so it wont draw unless your looking at it. Is that portals ?

Thanks In Advance

what you need to do is make zone-portals.
    adding a zone info isn't enough, you have to "close" an area with a zoneinfo. This is done with sheets.
    right click on the sheet button in the brush section of the menu, fill in the dimensions you need to close off a door or window in your zone. set the builder brush in the correct place.
    Now, in the left hand menu click the "add special brush" button.
    In the window the pops up, select zone portal from the drop down menu. then press OK and you should end up with a zone portal.
    Do this for all openings in your zone. it has to be completly closed!!!

After you rebuild all you can check your portals in the 3D view of the editor. all zones should have a different colour.

good luck.

greets carlsonnl

Also defenatly take a look here:
    http://udn.epicgames.com/pub/Content...es_and_Portals

And there's some usefull info here at the bottom:
    http://sv2.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...threadid=41546

Thanks for the imput guys. I tried your suggestions and my zones don't change color. Everything is still blue. Don't know what I'm doing wrong, I enclosed areas with Sheets and used the special brush to make them Zone-Portals.

If you could, I have a rar file of the map, can one of you take a look if you have the time and see what it is I'm doing wrong ?

Thanks again in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

seems like youre zones are "leaking". the brushes that encolse the zone don't close the zone off. i've made 2 screenies to show what i mean. these are only 2 examples but i saw a couple more.

what also could be the problem is that you use multiple zone info's
    in the same zone.
    what you should do when building a map is first make sure that all is sealed off with zone-portals and then add in the zone info.

I don't know why it would be leaking thru the sides of the pyramid, it's a hallow 4 sided cone, should be all one piece. As for leaking at ground level, if I try to lower the pyramid anymore or raise the terrain, the terrain dissapears. I'll try to create the zones first then add the zone info after.

Again thanks for the help

Oh BTW, what i can tell from what your trying to say above, you are making a mistake. Terrain doesn't zone off areas. So if you substract a hall and the ground is terrain. Then you try to put a zone portal in the middle that touches the ceiling, walls and terrrain. But you still have a substraction under the terrain that goes from one side of the hall to the other, it will not zone it.

So if this is your hall from the sideview. The dottet line is your terrain and the vertical line is your portal.
    Code:

------------------------------

However if you zone to the bottom of the substraction it still doesn't work like you would want too. The zoning would be correct if you did what carlson said and made sure your portals are at least touching all walls or sticking into them a little bit. But the problem would be your terrain, it will not show in another zone where the terrain info actor isn't.

So basicly make sure your portals are large enough and are closing of a substraction completly. terrain doesn't act as a zone portal just as normal BSP substraction would.

Hope it makes sence.

Ok guys, here's the update . . .

I got the zone-portal to work, as you suggested SP, I needed to put a brush in for the floor to close off the hallow cone I used for the pyramid. It took me several tries to get it to work but I got it to, somewhat.

Take a look at the attached pic . . .

As you can see, you can see thru the walls, but turn ever so slightly and you can't. I assume that UT2K3 decided in the one pic that you can't see the zone so it doesn't draw it. If I'm correct, is it caused by brushes or sheets over lapping, or one of the few bugs in the editor ?

Again, thanks for you help in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zone-portal.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	16597  

First, it looks a bit weird to put a zone portal there. I don't know the map so i might be completly wrong. But that has nothing to do with the problem. I think it's a BSP hole. I've seen quite a lot of those. Most of the time on the parts where the engine cuts the BSP. Ssometimes it dissapeared after a few rebuilds or further down map development. I've also read that somethimes it helps to change the order of your brushes. Or re-substract a part of the BSP.
    BTW, i don't think it has anything to do with the zone portals itself but it might help to remake the portal.

But BSP holes are kinda weird, sometimes they just seam to apear out of nowhere or without reason.
    Some tips to prevent it is to keep your BSP shapes pretty simple. try to keep faces straight. Difficult to explain but let me try. if you have a square face standing upward, and drag the top two verteces back, you'll get a slope. Which will be fine. But if you take one of those verteces and drag it even further, you'll get a funky shape. That's bad, that's one of the tings that like to become a BSP hole.

Also be carefull with the 2d shape editor. If you make a shape with it do not go and vertex edit it, only do this if you really know what you're doing and that you know the shape. You can create odd things with it too. With knowing the shape i mean that you have to be able to see how a face lookes and that you can see if it's a strange shape.

Also stay on the grid as much as possible. Best is keeping the grid higher than or equal to 4. And for some detailed BSP make it lower, but after making the detail up the grid again.

(To much info ? )Cheers.

Beta Test Requested

Update . . .

The reason I was putting a zone there was to optimize the map, it's basically an open interior of a pyramid so I figured if I zoned off some of the areas where you can't see the upper areas it would optimize the map abit. I couldn't get it to work 100% of the time so I just removed them except for one in the entrance from the outside to the inside.

If anyone wants to test the map for me and let me know what you think of the lighting, object placement and over all game play I would appreciate it. I've played it in instant action with the invasion scenario (S?) and seems to run ok on my machine with little slow down.

The file is an RAR file

Again Thanks In Advance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast