POTD & ranting Ut2004 & demo's in general

This is funny, i send in a picture of the day to the beyondunreal site, and geuss what ? It IS POTD. Funny.
    Take a peek if you like : http://www.beyondunreal.com

Since a lot of people in teh community are nagging about releasing the demo (read many people on the atari forums), i thought a little ranting is in order.
    First of al IMO if the demo is not finished it's not finished and so they shouldn't release it. I don't care if it's released in two weeks or two months, just as long the game rocks, which i'm sure will.
    I rather have they take a month or 2 more to polish game and demo, then that they would rush it and making a crappy one, that will leave you with a dissapointed feeling.

I judge games by demo's. They are there to give you a taste of what the real game is like. If i play a crappy demo, i'm not gonna buy teh game. period. So if the ut2004 demo would suck i would be very dissapointed. (im sure it won't tho, and this game i will buy nontheless)

Some people think that the demo is there to polish the game and tweak it by taking suggestions from the community. But a demo is there to give you a good impression of the final game and convince you to buy it. Beta's are for testing and tweaking and polishing the games. I'm not sure why some people think their suggestions have a point, i think (and offcourse i might be totaly wrong) that if the makers of a game would need feedback they would ask for it.
    Offcourse there are exeptions and some game companies listen to the community to implement stuff into their game (epic probably too). Which is all good and fine, but what im getting a bit sick of is that some people think they have something to say about a game. Not so much that they make a suggestion or two, but the way the do it. I mean suggestions that begin with "you should" " i want to see", you probably read those kinds of posts. They make me sick. It's the attitude of those kind of people. "Im so special that the developers HAVE to listen to me and do as i say/ask" *Blerk*

Reason i write this down is simply because im getting really tired of some people's attitude, which is one of the things i hate the most. And don't get me wrong, i think it's good that developers are listening to the community and i think it's the best thing there is that people are indeed doing suggestions. But some people take it for granted that the developer listens to them and think they can command them to do things or implement stuff.

Like taking UT2004 demo for example again. Mark rein said the demo will be released in two weeks (or probably be realeaed in two weeks, i don't know) And when it wasn't released after two weeks people get mad and begin demanding that the demo is released or nagging about it's release. What's up with that ? Not good, to put it mildly.

A whole lot of ranting, but i warned for it in teh title.

Just my thoughts.
    cheers.

Nice POTD SP

As to your ranting on demos, usually, not always, demos are released well before the game is ready to distribute so the demo wont have quite as nice grahics and might not even have the features the finished game will have. It's basicly a teaser to get your interest up in the game, like a trailer for a movie. As to the maker not needing or wanting input from users of the demo, there might be some truth to it, but IMHO, they should listen to the people who will be buying the game. Then again by the time the game is close to being released it's probally too late to add new features.

Yeah, youre absolutly right that it's good for developers to listen to gamers, but that's not the part im getting sick of. It's the people that take it for granted that the developers should listen to their suggestions. People that think they're so special and start their comments with stuff like you should, you must. I don't think it'sneccecary for developers to listen to suggestions from players, it's cool if they do but they are in no way obliged.

Here's a nice example from a post that i apsolutly resent:

As a community when do you think the DEMO has to be released... or a time frame betw..

As a community when do you think the DEMO has to be released...or a time frame betwen DEMO and releses?......

I feel they need/should release the DEMO with in the next 2 weeks......and thier should be at least a mont and a half for feedback and implementation.......

The less that is finished ind in the polish stage i think the better, so our feed back can be implemented quickly and effectivly.

Sincerely,
    And in that particular post where the need/should put in bold, which makes it even worse. That's what i meant with the atittude problem. I'm sure this dude didn't mean anything bad with the post but the result is the same. And maybe that post was the reason too that i started this post. To quote my vavorite reply in this threat : What's up with that ?

And as far as the demo goes, i think it's use has the last years been becomming blurred. I mean it was to test out a came to see if you liked it, so you could decide, do i want to buy this game. But some people seam to think it's there to give the developers sugestions about the game. That's the job for a beta. If i play a demo, i'd like to know what game i would be playing with the full version, i don't wanna play a crappy demo because it's not finished. A nice example is those demo's that start with "not showing final content" "this does not represent the final content". What's up with that ? Then why are you releasing a demo of the game. You're losing the point of a demo is what i think then.

Maybe i'm just getting old.

Thumbs up

Yea I get your drift on that. Most of the posts like that are either posted by adalecents that don't know anybetter or so called (and I use the term loosly) adults that haven't grownup yet. I wouldn't let it get to you. They have nothing better to do and think the world owes them something just because they're here, IMHO

hehe, zed.
    I won't let it get to me but i just wanted to vent some. There are just so many dumb and stupid people around on the forums. And one forum pops in my mind when i think about that. That's probably why buzz's forums rock. Everyone here is nice to each other and no flaming is happening. Try to ask the white viewport question for example on teh atari forums. Your first reaction is probably something like get ready to be flamed. And that would be a nice reaction. Oh well, at least im on teh good forums.

cheers m8.

Problem with 2k3 was that Mark started hyping ut2k3 too soon and they fell behind schedule due to some new bugs. So even if he didn't promise a release date explicitly he sure gave the impression he did and ppl fixed their minds on that.

Even in mapping the biggest mistake you can do is give out pictures too early in development which causes ppl to know about what you are making and they give you the feeling you quickly need to release the thing and thus reducing quality greatly. I found that out myself a few times and I'm really mad at myself coz I can never keep a map secret long enough.