Post "Chapter One: Static Meshes and You"

what is the best source for downloading static meshes? are there any websites that are devoted specifically to hosting static mesh downloads? i've searched for a few days and read through some posts but have turned up no results... i'm very new to ut mapping so this is a n00b question... but hopefully one that will give good results

This is not a n00b question, this is an exellent question. Unfortuantly i have not heard of any site which has static meshes, maybe someone else did. But if you're willing to learn something new (agian, you wonder) or put some more time and effort in it you could try and learn a 3d app. If you don't/can't invest time in a 3d app, there's always the option to build your static meshes in UED. Just keep in mind that it's not a good way to make them.

Although that i don't know any of those sites, there are plenty of sites that have free models for you to use. The only problem is that most of the time they are in format that can't be imported directly in UED. Like a format for 3dmax (.max) So you would need to open them up in that particular app and then export to a format UED can import. But it's might still be a good option. You could see if 3dbuzz itself has such free models and one other site i know is 3dCafe.

Cheers.

unfortunately i can't afford anything more expensive than milkshape 3d... but i have made some static meshes for my own maps... i posted a question similar to this on another forum and got a reply with http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~prefablab/main.shtml... this is a good resource, but as you have already stated, most of the meshes are in the wrong formats and many of them are untextured... are there any other 3d modelling programs like milkshape 3d that have a few of the more advanced features that maya and max provide but with a very low cost? and for some reason if anyone doesn't know of milkshape 3d (YOU SHOULD!) the creator's url is http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

thanks for your reply

-edit-
    ok, i must be blind... i swear that that link wasn't there when i looked yesterday... there is a link on the left bar (maybe on the right) under "power search" that says "models"... i guess that answers part of my question... but i was also wondering if there were any good resources not on this site
    -edit-
    ok, that's just rediculous! who's going to pay 99$ for a skinned basketball mesh! ok, i rephrase my question:
    Are there any FREE resources for static meshes?
    Last edited by dev_vectormatri; 08-22-2003 at 11:41 AM.

But there are other good programs without the cost, try maya PLE for example, version 5 will be downloadable this fall. And version 4 is on the 3rd UT2003 disk. Also discreet has gmax which is basicly a stripped down version of max, but it's free too. Only drawback is that exporting is hard at the moment. But since you have (?) milkshape, this is what you would do. You need the quake 3 pack, don't know the name anymore, but it let you export to md3 file. That you can import in milkshape and export again to a UT format. But why not use milkshape then, that is a pretty neat program and if it lets you export to ut format, why not ?

Cheers.

i was aware of the maya ple, but i thought that it had an expiration after which it looses file saving capability? and thankyou for the gmax suggestion, i'll look into that... but as for milkshape, it's good but it has basically none of the advanced features or even moderate features that are offered by some of the other packages, such as NURBS and all of the transformation and filter things... it does, apparently, export to ut formats but i thought those were only for the original unreal and unreal tournament and not for ut2003+... like i said, i'm a newbie to unrealed and 3d modeling... i used milkshape briefly a few years ago but never anything serious, so your suggestions are greatly appreciated

Well if milkscape can export to obj or ase format, it won't be a problem those two i'm sure of that UED can import. BTW i didn't give a link before but here it is : http://www.discreet.com/product/gmax gmax is a great 3d app, i can advise you to download the tutorials to if you need them. They helped me get to know the basics, although you sound like you don't really need them.

Cheers.