Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Ertai23
    I just noticed this:

If adding something by right-clicking in te perspective viewport doesn't work, try another viewport... It sounds obvious, but it took me a couple a days to figure it out...
    i had a similar problem, then realized it was because the mouse was moving while i right click, make sure you are not moving the mouse or the right click menu won't appear... lame, i know..

If you want to know a distance between brushes in a map or something use ctrl+shift+hold middle mouse button . Not click, Press and hold. Then drag to the ruler to the destination and it should show the distance in a little black box with white numbers beside or above the measuring line.

Frankli go to Unreal Wiki, then search for movement metrics. that's the page name I am sure. It has all that and more measured out for your conveniece.

or you can just clicky:
    http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Movement_Metrics_(UT2003)
    there is also a UT page as well if that's your flavor

Another good tip is to sepcify which version of Unreal Tournament you are using when posting maps for people to download

If you've laid out your path network corectly and during testing the bots won't translocate, use elevators and such.. Check what skill level the bots are. Your paths are probably fine, bots of lower skill levels can't do advanced stuff like use elevators. Use GodLike bots to test your map pathing network.

To answer the above question about the distances for the characters.

Max Jump Height - 64
    Double Jump Height - 128
    Player Height Standing - ~79
    Max Step Height - 24

I dont know the width of the player nor the crouched height. If anyone has these that would be great.

Autosaving:

As you may or may not know, UED has an inbuilt autosaver. All the maps labeled Auto1-Auto9 are autosaves. However, which one is the newest?
    Well, you can check the log, or go to your maps folder (you can do this by opening the editor as well) , right click somewehere, and select Arrange>Modified

Now, the last file you'll see is the last file saved. So, it's probably the newest auto-save...
    Let This Be A Lesson: Kids Never Learn...
    -Chief Wiggum

Join us at IRC: irc.3dbuzz.com #UED
    http://www.blazebolden.com The mod I'm working on...

well, just because this happened to me I'll share it. I bet it's not common but I got an error that said that my computer was overheated or the game war corrupted or something like it, Ertai got some error about his fan being broke. So before reinstalling try loading another map or send it to a friend

Hiya PhOny,

I am new to level editing too. Well, I haven't done any level editing since 1995 when I used to make Doom Mods. But I have never done a 3D map.

I got into Unreal editing because I wanted to make Onslaught maps. So after reading some tutorials, I learned how to place power cores, link nodes, vehicles and so fourth. But one of the things that stumped me when I first started (about 2 1/2 weeks ago) was that everytime I started my map using the editor, it started it as a Deathmatch map not an Onslaught map.

After looking at a number of the maps that shipped with the Game, I figured it out.

To make an Onslaught map you could just add 'ONS-' to the beginning of the file name and run it from the game, or take the following steps so you can run it from the editor.

1. In the editor, click on View on the file bar.
    2. Choose Level Properties (you could just hit F6)
    3. In Level Properties, expand "LevelInfo"
    4. Under default Game Type type the following: Onslaught.ONSOnslaughtGame

When you next run your map, it will load your game as an onslaught map.

I have not found a tremendous amount of content out there about Onslaught maps, but couple of good tutorials I did find are listed below.

Onslaught tutorial with screenshots
    http://www.unrealops.com/modules.php...content&id=144

A second tutorial that I found helpful.
    http://www.psyonix.com/OnslaughtMapTutorial.shtml

As far as inspiration goes, I find that the terrain builder is a great tool for coming up with ideas. I just create a heightmap, and start editing it like it was a lump of clay. I enivitably wind up getting rid of the original terrain, but while I am molding it into cool shapes, I wind up coming up with a neat idea.

Like this: Try making a a cave with terrain by creating bottom texture, and then making a second terrain and inverting it for the cave's ceiling. This is a very cool effect. You can make stalagmites and stalagtites very easily by just growing the terrain from the lower and upper heightmaps into one another.

Hope this helps.

General_Disaray
    Happy to be in the Maya Fundementals Class. Worth the wait, the effort, and more than worth the money. I've done a lot of VTMs; here and outside of 3dBuzz. I can say without a doubt that these VTMs are the best that I've seen. Great Job Guys, and Thank You!

Click here to check out DomeGI. Global Illumination for Maya made easy

A MOD Team I am on.

Draw your map, or at least a basic layout of it, on gridlined paper before you even sit down at the computer.

This helps me more than anything, and you can do this no matter where you are, just keep the pad and pencil handy. Great way to spice up a boring bus ride.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast