Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    wow some really great info in here. Thanks guys and gals!

Some great info here. I had a question that seems pretty basic, but I have yet to find the answer to anywhere. Is it possible to directly import the textures or static meshes from one Unreal game into the editor of another? (e.g. import a RavenShield or Unreal 2 mesh into the UT2K3 editor?) I've been using Antonio Balcazar's UT Package tool to export, edit in 3ds max or photoshop and import into Unreal Ed, but this seems unnecessarily cumbersome. Any ideas?
    "The only true knowledge is in knowing that you know nothing." --Ted "Theodore" Logan

Well yes, don't ! Getting content from another game and importing it into another violates copyright and thus is illigal.

Well, since most people have set their gamma up in Unreal Tournament, what looks like a perfect level in the editor may be way to bright in the game... To combat this, remove the -nogamma line before making final tweaks...
    Let This Be A Lesson: Kids Never Learn...
    -Chief Wiggum

Join us at IRC: irc.3dbuzz.com #UED
    http://www.blazebolden.com The mod I'm working on...

Originally posted by destr0
    Some great info here. I had a question that seems pretty basic, but I have yet to find the answer to anywhere. Is it possible to directly import the textures or static meshes from one Unreal game into the editor of another? (e.g. import a RavenShield or Unreal 2 mesh into the UT2K3 editor?) I've been using Antonio Balcazar's UT Package tool to export, edit in 3ds max or photoshop and import into Unreal Ed, but this seems unnecessarily cumbersome. Any ideas?
    It would depend on whether the game company that produced it encourages fan based mods/level design etc...
    If so, then you would be morally sound in "transplanting" some of their elements.
    I have done it before and the best way to do it, is to find the .u file (or .int or whatever) and try to import it into the ed your using. Look at the log window to see if it successfully loads, or if your editor starts checking for other packages. Find the missing packages and import those as well. You should then be able to use particle systems etc... from other builds.

I've had many moments of great discovery using the editor. Some of the most valuable things I have learned are:
    Drag selection.
    While in camera view mode, you can hold down ctrl-alt and the left mouse button to "draw" a box around objects. Whatever object- be it a brush, light actor, zoneinfo you name it- that has it's PIVOT point withing that box will be highlighted. Very useful for duplicating large areas or rooms. Further, if you do this, then want to select another distant region, hold down shift-ctrl-alt and then draw the box around them. This will allow you to keep the previous group selected as well.

Finally understanding three-point brush clipping

Theres more I feel, but can't really recall them at the moment.

Here is the newbi FAQ over at www.planetunreal.com/architectonic

FAQ – Solutions to many simple problems here!
    ------------------------------------------------------

Before a posting a naïve newbie question, please take the time to check to see if it’s listed below as we’re getting a lot of the same problems through here…
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: “Exciting dynamic lights that flicker and twinkle and so forth work lovely in UnrealED 3.0, but when I rebuild or play they’re static. What am I doing wrong?”

A: Absolutely nothing. Dynamic lights were sadly taken out. As such, they’re still available in the editor, but will not work whatsoever ingame. You can get much the same sort of effects using projectors, though…
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: “Yeargh! I’ve just loaded UnrealEd 3.0 and the viewports are, like, gone or something. It’s all white! What do I doooo?”

A: Relax. It’s a simple bug. It happens every once in a while. There are several ways around it, but my personal favourite is to go to View-> Viewports ->Configure. Click OK and everything’ll come back nicely.

Q: “Where are the flags/ bombing run goals/ ball spawns/ DOM points?”

A: For some bizarre reason they’ve been cunningly hidden. Open the Actor Classes Browser and expand Navigation Point-> JumpDest-> Jump Spot-> Game Objective. They’re all there. Quite why they’re so well hidden is anyone’s guess…

Q: “Every time I quit UnrealEd 3.0 it asks me if I want to save package0/ package1/ package1138. What do I do?”

A: Always click NO. All the information you need for your custom map is saved within the map itself. Probably by magic or something. Or under the MyLevel package. Either way, messing with these packages runs the risk of messing up UT2003, and noone wants that, do they?!

Q: “My terrain disappeared! My terrain disappeared! I was working, and my terrain sort of… disappeared…”

A: Mellow. Another common bug. Probably. It happens every once in a while, especially if you’re subtracting BSP. You’ll find that if you do a rebuild, everything’ll spring back…

Q: “Can I import old UT maps into UT2003? That’d be so cool…”

A: Yes. Yes, you can. Unfortunately, the scaling is all wrong so you’ll have to select all and stretch them. Bear in mind also that it’ll look and play exactly like a UT map. No special static mesh bells or whistles will be added automatically for your gaming pleasure. As such, it’s nigh on pointless and you may find it’s just smarter to boot up Unreal Tournament…

Q: “UnrealED 3.0 keeps crashing…”

A: Well, it’s a beefy bit of software. Try not to over tax it. The patch may help somewhat, especially if these crashes are during builds. Try building in steps (geometry, lighting, paths etc) and see if you can narrow down which part is crashing the editor. I bet your monkey arse it’s paths.

Q: “Some static meshes are sort of invisible and weird when you look at them from one side. What’s with that? How do I fix it?”

A: Correct me if I’m wrong, but the best I can figure it is that some static meshes were designed to be viewed in one place and one place only – the original map. An excellent example is the meshes of the trophies. Now, why bother going to the trouble of making the back view if they’re only ever going to be visible from the front? Quite a few are like this. They look crazy, I know. No, you can’t fix it.

Q: "I'm making a terrain - I click "new", enter all the information and then the editor crashes"

A: It's a bug. It'll only happen if you change the X and Y valuse from their default (256). Leave them alone, and then alter the size of your terrain later in the Terrain Properties...

Q: "I've got a room with a light, but only some of the walls light properly. The others remain compleeeeetely black. What the hell is this?"

A: To be honest, I have no idea. Although the answer, courtesy of MasterofSquirrels, is that you have an ATI video card. Let's hear what the Chief of Rodents himself has to say:

"ok in the editor go to view>advanced options.
    then go to rendering>3dwhateversupport>UseHardwareTL= either true or false i'm not sure just change it..."

Hope that helps. What's an ATI, anyway? I'm sure that's not the way it's meant to be played...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Q: I can't select surfaces!

A: Go to Advanced options and turn off some of the less necessary graphical features. Start with Anti Aliasing. That ought to do it...

and also

Black BSP lighting bug FIX!!!
    If your are having that annoying black BSP lighting bug all you have to do is set it to unlit build then set it back to not unlit and build again and it should work if not do the same thing with special lit.

that should work tell me if it works for you.

A usefull emitter workflow

Right, maybe handy to know the workflow of setting up an emitter.

First you need to know what effect you want, for example fire.
    What does fire do:
    - It looks like fire (Texture)
    - It travels upwards (Velocity)
    - It start at a bit of a random location (Location)
    - It dies out at some time (Lifetime)
    - It has a certain Size (Size)
    - You will need a certain amount of particles (General)

And there you are, you know the first properties to change to build yourself a nice fire.

So now you start:
    - You pick a texture and assign it in the texture slot
    - You'll give it a possitive StartVelocityRange.Z
    - You'll give it a very small StartLocationRange.X.Y.Z
    - You'll lower the LifeTimeRange
    - You'll lower the StartSizeRange.X.Y
    - You'll change or leave the particles for now

There you have your basic fire. Then you'll tweak the settings.
    - Does it look good ? Does the texture need to change ?
    - Does it travel to fast or slow ? Tweak it.
    - do particles spread to much apart or not enough ? Change the locationrange
    - Is the lifetime corect ? If not change it.
    - Is the size of the particles ok ? Change if neccecary.
    - Need more particles ? Or less ? (less is better, so keep it as low as possible)

Then you need to make it better:
    - Do you want particles to facde in and out to make it smoother ? -> Turn on Fade In and/or Fade Out and set it's time.
    - Do you want the particles to spin ? -> Set SpinParticles to true and give it a SpinsPerSecondRange
    - Need to give it a color or change the opacity ? Set UseColorScale to true and add two new ColorScales set the second one to a RelativeTime of 1. (SAturation determents opacity)

And again tweak untill happy. This approach weorks most of the time. There are always certain settings you should start out tweaking. Once you get the general effect you want, it's easy. But most of the time the first six settings are teh ones you will want to mess around first.

Cheers.

Couple of Newbie questions.

Greetings;

I, myself, had just recently taken up mapping and was wondering while watching a couple of the VTMs: what exactly is the height of a player character (like the approximate number of units), what is the height of the character when he/she jumps, and what is the lowest that the character can crouch without his/her head going through the top of the ceiling?

Also, a question partaining to the texture browser. Whenever I browse for textures, the sample pictures are HUGE, and I can only veiw one at a time. When I watched the VTMs and saw Logan browse for textures they were all nice and small and he could veiw multiple images. Mine are at their actual size instead of scaled down into thumbnails. How might I be able to fix this?

Go in under the Actor Classes browser and choose Pawn->UnrealPawn->xPawn and place one of those... In ut2004 you have a Jakob and in ut2003 a Gorge for measuring

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast