Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Mr. SlackPants
    Most off the time that happens when your grid size is larger than something like 32. If you try to add stuff in the 3d view it doesn't work so lower the grid size or do as ertai said, use another viewport. But remember that the object you'll place stays on one of the 0 lines. So if you add it for instance in the top view the opject will have the x,y coordinates where you place it but the height will be 0.
    Sometimes setting the grid size lower doesn't work.
    Oh yeah, it's ertai23, not ertai

Just another noobie mapper

I have just started mapping UT2003 myself as of 5 days ago to be exact. I have found the VTMs' soooo helpful. I have downloaded quite a few of them now and I have found that when I get stuck on somethin or need an idea about how to get something done they are very handy to open back up and review. Thanks to UT2003 for makin all those VTMs' !!!.

Hey mate, welcome to the site, actually buzz and the team made the vtms... but we can praise ut2003 for being a kick arse game!
    Complaining is like a rocking chair, It's fun for a while but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Question A quick question

I have encountered a problem with a map and wondered if any of you had experienced the same... I was texturing a fluid surface with "fluidcombiner" in the defalt fluid texture. It works ok in the sense that a texture is added as a skin to the fluid surface BUT ! its never the right texture! it looks like the cubed textures that are found in the cubed selections instead of a bluish mirrored look that it should be like on the VTM ... I just wondered if any of you had encountered this or if its just me?

Thanks ,

DeathStar

I don't know about it but in my VTM it showed up more green/yellow like, sort of jungle reflection...Did fit with the rest of the map IMO tho.

One tip or something that is "invaluable" to me, it may sound a little "Doh!"-like but I don't care cuz it's Invaluable to me

When creating a skybox, don't forget to set the surfaces of the skybox and the surfaces you wish to show the skybox to "unlit"
    I had read a tutor about skyboxes when i was still workin with UnrealEd for UT 1999 and it didn't cover this, thus leaving me with utter frustration and disappointment about the shady corners that created a cube-ish effect that looks really bad. I only recently found out about this, together with terrain editing btw, and now I feel sorta enlightened

This might sound abit like "Well, doh! of course u need to set it to unlit" but as I said, it wasn't covered in my tut so I never found out

Another often discussed one is to make sure your water volumes are not touching other brushes to cause the splash sound effect when you jump in take place, and here's the catch: if you're making a cilinder pool that is hollow, thus with lines going from each corner in outer radius to the corresponding corner in inner radius, I discovered these lines, tho not visible as actual part of the brush ingame, also count as part of the brush it cannot touch. Thus in this case you will need to split your watervolume into different segments that each fit in between those lines and the inner and outer edges. So with a cilinder pool of 8 sides you would have 8 segments (see pic for what I mean I think it's a bit clearer there).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cilinder.jpg 
Views:	965 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	14650  
    Last edited by [PaiNGoD]; 08-04-2003 at 04:37 PM.

Nice idea for a thread! :-)

Anyway, I am creating my first outside level and using terrain. I learnt about the sunlight actor but I was having trouble getting it to light anything. I discovered (thanks to the guys on this board and also the VTMs god bless Buzz and his team!!!!) that you have to have a skybox or atleast set the faces that will act as the sky to "Show Fake Backdrop". Only then will the sunlight actor work correctly. Guess I am still too newbie to have not understood that but thats why we are all here. Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by Arimus; 08-01-2003 at 02:21 AM.

This is probably something everyone does but still I want to mention it for the very new mappers. Try not to go into very much detail from scratch. First, build your geometry with very simple textures, i.e. HumanoidArchitecture->Base and then the 3rd I believe. Add a (few) light(s) to see what you are doing but don't go into adding the final lightning and all static meshes and all until the basic geometry of the map is done. Maybe this doesn't go for you guys but I experienced stopping with the map because I wanted to jump into big flashy lighting and other details right away. It often didn't work causing my morale to crash () and for me to stop editing right away.
    When you have the geometry all done, you won't just quit without saving your map right? I mean, you spent all this time in it and it looks ok now, all you need to do is go into the details. Now that you have everything the way you want it, you can think like "Well, that's done, the rest will come some other time" and go and wait until you feel more like adding the lightning and static meshes.
    Building the geometry of your entire level first will make sure your morale doesn't crash because the lighting and other details don't go as you want right away

PG
    Last edited by [PaiNGoD]; 08-04-2003 at 04:40 PM.

Originally posted by Arimus1
    Nice idea for a thread! :-)
    Cheers mate, i hope everyone will learn something from it and i hope i can contribute something soon!
    Complaining is like a rocking chair, It's fun for a while but it doesn't get you anywhere.

Angry Fluid surfaces givin me trouble

I swear Fluid surface editing is gonna be the death of me. I'm completely hooked on map editing BUT fluids are really givin me a hard time for some reason. I am sure a few of you have it all figured out..... that said.... Any pointers for the noob ?

Thanks,

DeathStar

Yeah sure.

Display -> Skins = Set the texture that will be used for the fluid.
    FluidSurfaceInfo -> FluidGridSpacing = How large the fluid triangles are.
    FluidSurfaceInfo -> Fluidnoisefrequency = How many waves.
    FluidSurfaceInfo -> FluidNoiseStrenght = How high(low) the the waves are.
    FluidSurfaceInfo -> FluidSpeed = How fast rippeles travel.
    FluidSurfaceInfo -> FluidXsize = Used to stretch the surface
    FluidSurfaceInfo -> FluidYsize = Same, but other direction.
    FluidSurfaceInfo -> Utiles = How many of the textures are used in U direction.
    FluidSurfaceInfo -> VTiles = Same, but other direction.

Just a few, i don't know too much about fluids but these are some options that you want to mess with in the beginning i think. If you truly want a cool fluid you should read some about making cube maps. Those things are on the water in DM-antalus and give that cool reflectionin that small pool. Maybe to advanced if you are just beginning, but still worth to check out.
    http://www.leveldesigner.com/index.p...ion=doc&ID=168

Cheers.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast