Programming Career

I'm interested in a career in video game programming/design/development, etc. I'm going to be entering college next year at Georgia Tech, and I was wondering what is the best major for me for this career? Computer Engineering and Computer Science are the two I am debating between. I also thought about going for both. I am also definitely going to be either getting a masters or taking some kind of program after college, such as the Guildhall. Not really sure yet.

So, any advice on which major I should choose?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    ~Tom

Actually I think I can give you a little advice, as I am in computer science myself, (well I will be starting in fall) and my older brother is in computer engineering. First off you need to know what the major study is of both fields.

1) computer engineering is what you would go into if you wanted to design create computer components, you will be possibly going into stuff like autocad, for design, and you will learn the B programming language. Which is an system assembly language. Well I could go on but I think you get the picture.

2) computer science, is more of a study of software, you will learn to understand how everything in the computer works, and how to write software for everything.

so engineering is hardware basically and the computer science is software, so for video game programming computer science would be the better choice, but from there you can go into different fields in computer science,

I myself am majoring in Computer Science under the field of AI, and I am getting a minor in Physics, because I believe that videogames will one day be controlled off of only physics and AI.

well this was quickly written but hopefully a little helpful.
    Future video game developer.

first things first, i went to gt for some supplemental courses, went to uga other wise, and thats where i took my first 3d classes, computer science is a powerful course, well worth it, thats what i recommend you take, and also do some courses not devoted to a major for even more in your field at a later time
    Please Visit our Friends at: 3D-Palace | Pixel Academy | CG Networks | MELScripting.com | Inferno3d | Ed Harriss
    � Always read the FAQs! Lounge FAQ | Main FAQ | Demondo's Revised FAQ | 3DSMax FAQ | Houdini Apprentice FAQ
    � Need a star? Be active! Read threads, post, make polls, and participate. I garuntee it's more rewarding when you try! More info here.
    � Don't forget to help spread the word about 3dbuzz anywhere you can...EXAMPLE OF SILLY IDEAS THAT HELP
    Help support the future of 3dbuzz by becoming a MEMBER SPONSOR. Thank you to our current member sponsors!

Actually, you'd be suprised how many professional game programmers didn't major in CompSci. Most of the programmers I've worked with were actually engineers of some sort, one actually had a Doctorate in Anthropology.

For games the programming part is easy. It is deffinitely very important to have a solid background in at least Mathematics and Physics, but also it helps to have some expertise beyond the typical programming prerequisites. Artificial Intellingence, Graphics, Architectural Engineering, Robotics or even Aerospace Engineering. Anything you can offer to a game developer beyond the typical programming skillset is good.

If you are more interested in Computer Engineering, go for it. You're still going to learn to program going that route, there's no way around it. Getting an engineering degree won't keep you from a career making games if that's what you are after. Additionally, you could probably make a whole lot more money with a Masters in Computer Engineering rather than a Masters of Computer Science, should you decide not to go into games, and decide to leave game development at some point.
    Side Effects Software
    Visit our good buddies at
    [od]force

Thanks to everyone for your input! It has helped me out a lot!

I am already registered for Computer Science, and am probably going to stick with that, at least for now. If I decide to change my mind in a year or so, so be it, it's not too hard at my school, because freshman year is basically taking a bunch of core classes.

Once again, thanks guys!
    ~Tom