View Poll Results: Which font would suit a black background, gray for mouseovers & white for font?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Arial

5 25.00%
  • Trebuchet

1 5.00%
  • Verdana

14 70.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web Site Font

Question Web Site Font

I use css stylesheets and I'm starting on a new one. Which is the best font to use over a black background, with gray for mouseovers and white font? Arial, Verdana or Trebuchet?

I like to use Verdana over Arial.

But it all really depends on how big your font is gonna be.
    Forever always seems
    to be around when things begin
    but forever never seems
    to be around when things end...

Verdana i used to be a big arial fan but thats in the past!
    3d is Kewl

[w] - Credit Cards -

I would try it in different browsers on different OS's at different resolutions to see for yourself..

Arial is a bit too narrow for my liking. Verdana has a much wider typeface, much more easier to read.

Verdana, unlike Arial, is highly optimized for on-screen display, and of the limited number of fonts you can reasonably expect to be on most systems, it will be the easiest to read at most sizes.

Also, I would advise making it a standard practice to use Font Families, rather than a single font. For instance:

.blah {
    font-family : Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    }

This will choose the first font from the list that is installed on the visitor's system. As a worst-case, it will use the visitor's default sans-serif font.

Of course, if you'd prefer Trebuchet be used on systems where it's available, you can simply insert it at the beginning of the list.

Hope this helps.

-- Warren

Verdana. It looks the nicest plus it is^W was available for free meaning that it's fairly common. It's a pity that MS removed the download from their font site.
    "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." --Douglas Adams

Is the Verdana font on Mac systems? How 'bout Arial? I want my site to be available on all systems. The higher the compatibility, the more the hits and chance of visitors returning.

Originally posted by jnptloh
    Is the Verdana font on Mac systems? How 'bout Arial? I want my site to be available on all systems. The higher the compatibility, the more the hits and chance of visitors returning.
    I'm fairly sure that Verdana is distributed with both Office/Mac and IE/Mac. Using Verdana as your first choice would be a pretty safe bet, IMO. Just remember to provide a few failsafe alternatives.

MS withdrew their free font download just recently. Luckily the fonts had a decent EULA, which allows people to make it available for download elsewhere provided that they don't change the .exe files. Grab the fonts here if you need them.
    "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." --Douglas Adams

Hey thanks dude! I'm not a big fan of the mac but I'm impressed of it's stability and I want to know how many percent of people using mac use ie for mac?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast