Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with new gametype?

Does anyone know how to go about making a player spawn at a scripted player start each time he dies as for a new gamemode I want all players who did not kill anyone between each spawn to spawn a different location to those who did kill someone before they were killed.

Can anyone help with this, a few clues would be handy

Thx
    Last edited by acarden; 06-11-2003 at 04:32 PM.

hmm... i remebering working alot with this... i don't have the script on hand. But each time a player dies a new playerpawn is spawned for him at the random spawn point.... i jsut deleted alot of my source cause of a virus..... there was a bit in the controller section under setpawnclass.... hmm....

try looking for the spawn function and spawn object.... you might have to create a custom command with the spawn that takes 2 closest spawn points and forces the respawn there... but i really don't know what youa re talking about.... double check with wiki

Might Help - Heres More Detail

I am trying to create a map/or gametype that allows both newbies and uber players to play together here is the scenario:

In the map there are two seperate areas (heaven and hell) and what I want to happen is that if a player does not kill anyone before he is killed he spawns in heaven (were all the wimps are)

If though the player kills someone before he is killed he spawns in hell (were all the uber players hang out)

So we have two areas to the map (one fast paced and one slow paced)

My ONLY problem is getting the players to spawn in heaven or hell depending on whether they have killed someone before they died.

I have written the check for the kills but have no idea how to force a player to spawn at specific player start.

Thx

check for the kills could be written in a controller list... or pawn list (not sure about the existence of a pawn list, it would be really good though) Anyways when a player gets killed his information is transfered a new similar pawn.... what you have to do is check that new pawn BEFORE he enters the world and then decide where to place him in the world....

What you are thinking about will prolly require a new spawn point placeable that acts just like a regular spawn, but has a flag for the players skill level. (cool idea would be dante's 7 levels of hell)

so basically an int varible attached as a property to list as a binary (heaven/hell) or count (7 levels or something) then have the conditions. again it really relies on finding the spawn function... i would help you find it but my source is all messed up right now... i need to reinstall on my other system

hrm...
    ... could you do this with a new subclasses of the playerstart class that has a boolean in it?

Like, when bIsHeavenStart = true, people who want to go to heave go there, while when it is false people in hell start there?

Also, just an idea, but maybe instead of checking if they killed someone, you could divide it by checking if the pawns is above or below the average score? The only problem I see with that is that you might come into the problem of only 1 person being in one area, which could be avoided with a check about how many pawns are in hell/heave (With a var in a subclass of XPawn?).

Just a few ideas

[edit]
    The reason I bring up the idea of checking scores instead of if they killed someone is because sometimes a good player can get killed right on spawn, and they'd then be put in with the bad players and whoop some serious butt...

...or they can walk around acting stupid then go in with bad players and kick butt in there. Both situations would suck.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Who_Cares; 06-11-2003 at 05:12 PM.

Yeah good point

Yeah thats a good point, back to the drawing board. I like the_guys idea for dante's 7 levels of hell. I think the idea of placing them depening on there score compared to other players in the game is a great idea and should solve the problem of a good player being in heaven and doing all the wimpy players in.

So if player is in bottom 40% they are in heaven if they are in top 60% they are in hell.

I was gonna look at the playerstart code but cannot find the class for it in the actor browser, I also have concerns that a) I might break network compatbility by modifying playerstart or b) that the unreal editor or game may not accept a subclassed playerstart as spawn point?

This sounds like it will be interesting when its finished. I'm going to try to script some stuff, and ill get back to you if I find anything.

As for the playerstart class, I have found it in Other->Actor->NavigationPoint->SmallNavigationPoint->PlayerStart.

Darn thing was hard to find

So, ill try making a subclass of that, then a subclass of pawn, then ill make a small gametype that changes the default pawn type. That should work fairly well, right?

if you get this working, would u mind posting the script?
    ~Tom

Some of it's working

I have created a new HHPlayerStart class which extends PlayerStart, this is allow the level designer to place these level starts and weight them using 0.100 which represent the players mean score

so you can have an area with a PlayerStart weighted min 80 max 100 would only allow players in the top 20% of all players in the game to start there.

The new gametype overrides FindPlayerStart to return only HHPlayerStarts (or just normal PlayerStarts as fallback) which fall within the Players mean score (percentage).

[ Please Ignore this it has been answered in another thread ]
    Most of it is now working and I can find the correct HHPlayerStarts however I need to get a list of all PlayerReplicationInfos for the game so I can calculate the mean (percentage) score. Anyone know how to do this.
    [ Please Ignore this it has been answered in another thread ]

Note this will have to be a gametype instead of mutator as it will require designers to add the weighted spawn points into the map.

The great advantage is that it will allow the level designer to choose where e.g. players in the bottom 50% could spawn further away than the best players.

I'll leave it to the level designers to think up other ways for using this but initially it will form part of my heaven and hell mod.
    Last edited by acarden; 06-12-2003 at 03:28 PM.

It's looks like we dont need to touch pawn or pawn type just gametype and playerstart

It's looks like we dont need to touch pawn or pawn type just gametype and playerstart. I have subclassed xDeathMatch as I cannnot see this working as team game as it would split teams up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast