Thread: Searchbox

Question Searchbox

Hello I am from Holland so excuse me for my bad English.

I am making a website entirely in flash, and I don't know how to create a searchbox.

For example:

I have an archive with links to other sites and I only want to show the links that are asked for in the searchbox.

I hope you understand me, haha.

thnx

You could probably do it using action script. Basically you'd do something like this. (Note: I'm not familiar with action script.)

Step 1: Make a database, or list, of all your links. Including descriptions.
    Step 2: Step 2 allow the user to search for a word (string).
    Step 3: See if the searched string is found in any of the urls for the websites, or their description.
    Step 4: If it is found in EITHER the URL or the description relay the link back to the user. (Make sure to relay it only once either for URL or for description but not for both.)

mmm, okay.

thnx for the advice,

MB20

Lightbulb An Idea

One thing to think about is if a keyword search is really what is needed.

Alot of times it is easier for a user if they are presented with information that is already organized into catagories rather than try to think of what words describe what they are looking for. Alot of time and effort can be spent trying to come up with all the keywords that should be used for even one item or in the example you stated, one link.

If you have a site with a great deal of information ( amazon.com ) keyword search is great, but even a directory of 1000 urls can be organized into easy to navigate catagories.

Just a thought.
    My blog

Yes, I think I just make an A to Z list of folders and place the other links in there. That will make it a lot easier for me and the visitors. I still have to add comments to each link but I don't have to use the keywords anymore, and that will save me a lot of time.

thnx everybody.
    MB20