Question Copyright Photos (UK)

I am looking to start up a website. I was wondering if you needed to ask permission to use photos from other sources (ie other websites, newspapers etc.)

Thanks

Craig

I am looking to start up a website. I was wondering if you needed to ask permission to use photos from other sources (ie other websites, newspapers etc.)
    Yep, definitively, no doubt about it. Most websites have a copyright notice somewhere on then, and some (mostly personal ones) allow you to put pictures as long as you notify the person and sometimes they tell you wether they prefer to be direct linked or placed on your own server, but most of the commercial ones won't allow you to do it unless you pay for the rights to use them. Actually several websites and lots of people make a living out of selling pictures to be used on websites/newspapers and the like.
    "If you put together all the work I did on "Shrek", I would say I have spent more time promoting it in the last three days than I did actually working on it... When you compare that to the amount of work that the animators and producers put into it, I’m embarrassed to get all the attention and praise for it." - JOHN LITHGOW
    Visit my webpage